Lesson 5: Research in community nursing
1. Describe the primary method used to measure the existence of states of health or illness
in a popula9on during a given 9me period.
2. Dieren9ate between curde and adjusted
Lesson 15: faith-based care & occupational Health Nursing
1. Describe faith-based and parish nursing.
2. Describe methods of health promo:on within faith communi:es.
3. Explain the role of nursing in occupa:onal health.
Lesson 1: Introduction & history
1. Discuss the history of community and public health nursing in the United States and Missouri.
2. Dene and describe popula>on-based nursing prac>ce, iden>fying the characteris>cs and r
Lesson 9: ABUSE IN THE COMMUNITY
1. Dene In*mate Partner Violence and iden*fy the prevalence.
2. Describe the health consequences of IPV and other forms of violence.
3. Describe interven*onal strategies (screenings) and t
Lesson 13: Disaster preparedness
Iden(fy disaster types.
Explain the disaster planning process and possible par(cipa(on of nursing personnel.
Understand the role of the nurse in a disaster.
COURSE: NU350 Community and Public Health Nursing
NUMBER OF CREDIT HOURS: 3
PREREQUISITE: Admission to the nursing education program or permission of the instructor.
Semester and year
Time and day
Lesson 7: family assessment
Dene family and examples of family systems.
Describe the key components of family assessment.
Iden=fy situa=ons that make families vulnerable.
Iden=fy indicators of family
Lesson 11: Underserved populations
1. Iden(fy situa(ons that make popula(ons underserved.
2. Compare and contrast popula(on-based healthcare needs with unique needs of other
popula(on groups (urban, heterosexual, homeless)
Date of Report _
Clinical Instructor _
Population Data Report
Winter Semester, 2009
Target Population = _Low-income Breastfeeding women in Mid-Missouri_(#1)_
Descriptive Data (#2)
American Academy of Pediatrics
(2005). Policy statement:
Lesson 2: Health & global issues
1. Iden(fy cri(cal determinants of global health and the intersec(on between health and the
2. Describe the approaches to achieving maximum health outcomes in poor countries
Lesson 4: Promotion & Prevention
1. Discuss the contribution of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to the health
and well-being of people in the United States.
2. Explain the three levels of prevention.
3. Identify a multisystem pr
Lesson 14: Mental health & school nursing
1. Interpret the meaning of mental illness in the context of societal and cultural norms about
2. Describe the scope of mental illness and the eects on morbidity
Lesson 16: palliative care
1. Describe the role of the community health nurse in providing quality end-of-life care for
seriously ill clients and their families.
2. Recognize changes in demographics, economics and ser
Windshield Survey Assessment Guide
Use the ques5ons inside the element sec5ons to guide your assessment of the community you select.
Housing & Zoning
Lesson 12: Environmental health
1. Describe the links between human health and the environment.
2. Understand how the nursing process of using assessment, interven>on and evalua>on
can be used to examine the impact o
Lesson 8: INFECTIOUS DISEASES
1. Explain the dierence between infec6ous and communicable diseases.
2. Examine the agent, host and environmental characteris6cs of common community-
3. Describe the major m
Lesson 3: Evaluating the community
1. Iden(fy types of community assessments and sources of informa(on about a communitys
health and their indica(ons for use.
2. Conduct a windshield assessment of a community.
Lesson 6: Case management
1. Iden(fy the rela(onship between care and case management as a philosophical underpinning to
the care given by community health nurses in the home.
2. Dene home care nursing prac(ce
Date of Report _
Population Data Report, NU350 Community & Public Health Nursing
Target Population = _ _(#1)_
Descriptive Data (#2)
Quality of Data Source
Interpretation of Data (#4)
Implications for Practice
Chapter 11: Care Management, Case Management, and Home Healthcare
As a nurse, you are caring for an 82-year-old woman who has returned home after abdominal
surgery to repair an inguinal hernia, needing dressing changes and IV antibiotic therapy
[Type a quote from
the document or the
summary of an
interesting point. You
can position the text
box anywhere in the
document. Use the
Drawing Tools tab to
formatting of the pull
quote text box.]
[Type a quote from the