September 6, 2015
Brittens Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra
1. How is the theme (main melody) stated in this composition?
a. The main melody is stated in this composition by eight measures in D minor and
stated 6 times to illust
Unit V Questions
1. What is monody?
A solo song with instrumental accompaniment.
2. Define Figured bass?
Practice having independent bass line and includes numerals indicating the harmony.
3. What was the Doctrine of the Affections?
September 21, 2014
1. Listen to the Hildegard de Bingen: Alleluia, O virga mediatrix. Circle (or underline) the
word that would best describe the characteristic given on the left.
A. Alleluia, O virga mediatrix
1. Mass category: Proper, Ord
Listen to the Gregorian style chant by Hildegard de Bingen known as Alleluia, O
virga mediatrix. Underline the word on the right that would best describe the
characteristic (element) given on the left.
Listening Assignment 5
1. What is the basic plot of this opera?
Its based on Nahum Tate, who served as Englands poet laurette.
2. How and where does this recitative fit in the opera?
It happens in the beginning because there is natural rhyt
Listening Assignment 2
1. Track 18
a. I believe that this hymn is still sung and favored my many people because they know the
story behind the song Amazing Grace and if you do not then people are just singing it
because other people are. Th
September 28, 2014
Listening Assignment #4
1. Describe how these works fit under the sacred category.
Because they are both music pieces that we would hear in a church area and Ave Maria means
Hail Mary while Gloria means Glory
Listening Assignment 7
The four elements of music is harmony, rhythm, melody and dynamics. From the choices
listened in our assignment I chose to listen to Mozart: Eine kleine Nachtmusik, K 525, Third movement,
Mozart Piano Concert in G maj
Listening Assignment 1
The seven elements of music are melody, rhythm, harmony, timbre, form, dynamics, and
texture. Each of these is defined as:
1. Melody: the most prominent line or voice in a piece of music. It is a sequence of single no
August 30, 2015
Listening Assignment Using the Elements
1. Define the following musical elements:
Melody-notes in a song that go along good with the harmony.
Rhythm-a repeated pattern of sound.
Harmony-the sound of two or more notes
Music Appreciation, 102
4 November 2015
The History of the Flute
The flute goes all the way back to the 1800s when someone named Theobald Bhm, who
was a German inventor and musician, invented the flute. He worked on i
Unit Review Questions 1
Define the following terms under Melody:
2. Define the following under rhythm:
c. Name and define the simple meters
September 21, 2014
Unit III Review Questions
Give the dates of the Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods:
Renaissance: 1450-1600; Baroque: 1600-1750; Classical: 1750-1820; Romantic:18201900
What institute was t
September 28, 2014
Unit Review IV
1. What were 3 of the important awakenings that took place in the age of rebirth?
Word painting, a capella and vernacular.
2. Who supported music in the Renaissance?
The church, The city and state
1. Define theme:
Theme is a musical piece that has given composition to music.
2. How can you develop a theme?
I believe you develop a theme by thinking of an idea to write a song about and
then expanding that idea. Kind of like thinking ou
1. What was the importance of the French Revolution for the 1800s?
It was an absolute state ruled by a king who claimed to have total power to rule
given to him by God.
2. What improvements were made to instruments during the 1800s?
The guitars had better
Listening to Amazing Grace is a song that is used and loved by the masses. Its a very spiritual piece. I
think that this song is used so much is the piece gives hope and it has feeling. This is a song that brings
all of your senses to understand. When I h