Please print LAST Name: _
Please print FIRST Name: _
1. (10 Total Points) The decomposition of isopropanol to form acetone and hydrogen gas (reaction shown
below) has an equilibrium constant of 0.44 at 452 K. Assume H and S are temperature-independent.
1. (4 pts) What is the Lewis denition of an acid?
SOLN: An electron pair acceptor.
2. (4 pts) Does the introduction of a catalyst affect the equilibrium constant for a reaction? Briey
SOLN: (2 pts) No.
(2 pts) The catalyst speeds up the forward
l. (25 pts) Normal octane (n-octane), a constituent of petroleum and of gasoline, has the formula, C8 H18 and
the structure CH3 CH2 CH2 CH2 CH2 CH2 CH2CH3 . It explodes in an automobile engine rather than burning
smoothly, causing engine knock. An isome
CHEM 112A NAME:
TIME ALLOWED: 15 MINUTES ID#
All Quizzes are closed book and closed notes.
* Show your worldreasoning *
General Information: R = 8.314 J mol" K" ; F = 96485 Clmol; 1 J = 1 c V;
AG" 2 -nFA8°; AG" = RTan; 1 A = 1 Cfs
Please print LAST Name: _ Please print FIRST Name: _
1. (6 Total Points) As a demonstration, an instructor had a block of ice suspended between two chairs. She then
hung a wire over the block of ice, with weights attached to the ends of the wire:
(25 total pts) Many now accept that burning fossil fuels causes global warning by causing carbon
dioxide to increase in the atmosphere. A new argument from those who do not accept the argument is
that calcium carbonate (limestone), now heavily used i