Shawn Leigh Alexander, Vengeance without Justice, Injustice without Retribution:
The Afro-American Councils Struggle against Racial Violence, Great Plains
Quarterly 27.2 (Spring 2007): 117-134.
1. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, how were African Americ
Claire OBrien, With One Mighty Pull: Interracial Town Boosting in Nicodemus,
Kansas, Great Plains Quarterly 16.2 (Spring 1996): 117-29.
1. Why does OBrien consider the letter written by H.R. Clayton to be so
The letter just shows that somethi
1. How did boarding schools impact some Indians?
It impacted the children the most they were forced rules against speaking their tribal
languages, cutting of hair, removal of Indian clothing and cultural practices, and even sexual and
physical abuse. It m
LoConto, D.G. (2004). Discrimination Against and Adaptation of Italians in the Coal
Counties of Oklahoma. Great Plains Quarterly, 24.4: 249-262.
1. How did Italian immigrants differ from the English, Irish and Scottish miners that
Laura Detre, Canada's Campaign for Immigrants and the Images in Canada West
Magazine, Great Plains Quarterly, SPRING 2004 VOL. 24/NO. 2, pp 113-129.
1. Why did the Canadian government want to increase immigration into the west?
a. The Canadians were worri
Study Questions for Courtwright
Courtwright, J. (2002). A Slave to Yellow Peril: The 1886 Chinese Ouster Attempt in
Wichita, Kansas. Great Plains Quarterly, Vol. 22, #1: 22-33.
1. Why did the author choose to study this problem in Wichita?
Carbaugh, D., & Rudnick, L. (2006). Which Place What Story?: Cultural Discourses at
the Border of the Blackfeet Reservation and Glacier National Park. Great Plains
Quarterly, Vol. 26 / No. 3; 167-184.
1. What is the purpose and goal of this essay?
Campbell, G.R., & Foor, T.A., (2004). Entering Sacred Landscapes: Cultural
Expectations versus Legal Realities in the Northwestern Plains. Great Plains
Quarterly, Vol. 24/No. 3:
1. What is the purpose and goal of the essay?
To understand the Holy Places a
Charlyne Berens & Nancy Mitchell, Parallel tracks, same terminus: The role of
nineteenth-century newspapers and railroads in the settlement of Nebraska, Great
Plains Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 4.
1. Why do the authors claim that the newspapers and railroads