1. Who is responsible for keeping lab activities safe?
I, as the student, am responsible for keeping the lab activities safe along with my
classmates and lab teachers assistant.
2. Besides bacteria, name 3 other potential dangers f
Culture Techniques II Homework
1. Which two methods are best suited for long term storage of bacterial cultures? Freezing
and Lyophilized Cultures are the methods best for long term storage.
2. Why is it important to use a cryoprotect
This is to be completed twice (hence, two columns of repeated information) once at the beginning of the quarter and
again at the end. See schedule for specific dates.
Name: Najee Jackson
Resting Heart Rate
a. _65_ be
Role of plasmids in antibiotic resistance, pages 238/232 and 583/573
Text Readings for Final Exam 2016
Lecture # 31 Problems with Antibiotics
Plasmids & R Factors
Table of Exotoxins
Typhoid Fever and Water Purificatio
1. Between which two groups of organisms does this test differentiate? The Catalase test
differentiates between the Enterococcus and the Staphylococcus.
2. What is the role of superoxide dismutase? T he role of superoxi
Bios 111 Sec 155
Social Ecology and Antibiotics
1. Name 3 conditions that assist in the formation of soils. Water, wind, and temperature
assist in the formation of soils.
2. Name and briefly describe each soil horizon present i
Disinfectants & Antiseptics
1. What is the main difference between disinfectants and antiseptics? Disinfectants cant
be applied to skin where antiseptics can be applied to the skin.
2. What advantage do alco
1. How do extreme temperatures (above the maximum and below the minimum
growth temperatures) alter the enzymes in a bacterium? Extreme temperatures
below the minimum growth temperatures will possibly inactiv
Culture Techniques 1
1. Culture media comes in three physical forms. List them and give one reason each would
be chosen for use.
a. Liquid or Broth media: used to grow larger numbers of microorganisms.
b. Semi-solid media: used to deter
Metabolism I Homework
1. List at least four functions of proteins in a microbial cell. Proteins make up the structure
of the cell, provide movement, store amino acids for future use, and defend the cell
1. Name four types of motion that may be observed when viewing bacteria under a
a. Brownian motion is an erratic movement.
b. Flagellar motion is a whipping motion that is made by eukaryotic flagella and
rotation made by