Chapter 04: Carbohydrates
1. Plants use carbon dioxide, water, and the suns energy in the process of photosynthesis to
Plants synthesize carbohydrate via photosyn
Chapter 09: Energy Supply and Fitness
1. The fuel for all body processes that traps energy released from food is (are)
b. acetyl coenzyme A.
d. adenosine triphosphate.
The body catabol
Chapter 08: Water and Minerals
1. If a woman who drinks a cup of decaffeinated coffee in the morning, a cup of fruit juice with
lunch, 6 cups of water throughout the day and a cup of tea at bedtime, her fluid intake would
Chapter 06: Protein
1. Protein is needed by the body because it provides
c. fatty acids.
d. amino acids.
The body needs protein because it provides amino acids, needed to make all the proteins in th
Chapter 07: Vitamins
1. A secondary deficiency of a vitamin occurs when
a. dietary intake of two or more vitamins is inadequate.
b. absorption is inadequate or excessive amounts are excreted.
c. dietary intake is less than the ph
Chapter 05: Fats
1. The nutrient that provides the densest energy source is
Fat provides the densest energy source. Fat provides 9 kcal/g; protein and carbohydrate each
Chapter 03: Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
1. Peristalsis is necessary to make it possible for people to _ food.
d. smell and taste
Peristalsis makes swallowing possible as involuntary m
Chapter 02: Personal and Community Nutrition
1. The type of influence that a desire for sweet and salty flavored foods has on food preferences
A preference for s
Chapter 12: Life Span Health Promotion: Childhood and Adolescence
1. In feeding children, adults are responsible for determining
a. childrens likes and dislikes.
b. the amount of food consumed.
c. the quantity and quality of food
Chapter 01: Wellness Nutrition
1. Informal education includes education experiences that occur through daily activities, such as
a. attending a workshop on coronary artery disease sponsored by the American Heart