1. Why are a broad perspective and an interdisciplinary approach required for
understanding the brain? Choose the correct option.
A) Understanding the brain is a focused area in natural science with the brain serving
as the common point of focus.
1. How does the cleavage plane during cell division determine the fate of the daughter
cells? Choose the correct option.
A) After vertical cleavage, both daughter cells remain in the ventricular zone, but
with horizontal cleavage, the daughter cell lying
1. Identify the neuroscientists who first proved the existence of electrical synapses. Choose
the correct option.
A) Edwin Furshpan and David Potter
C) Alan Hodgkin and Andrew Huxley
B) Bernard Katz and John Eccles
D) Toshio Narahashi and Otto Loewi
1. What does the Neuron doctrine state? Choose the correct option.
A) Neurites of different cells fuse together to form a continuous reticulum.
B) Individual cells communicate by contact and not continuity.
C) Cell body of a neuron contains organelles.
What changes occur in taste receptors
when the membrane is depolarized during
receptor potential? Choose the correct
Voltage-gated Ca2+ channels open,
triggering the release of neurotransmitter
Voltage gated K+ channe
1. Which side of the cerebellum affects the movements of the right hand? Choose the
A) Right B) Left C) Frontal D) Dorsal
2. Which of the following mediates vital bodily functions? Choose the correct option.
1. Which of the following structures is known as the true master gland of the endocrine
system? Choose the correct option.
A) Anterior pituitary B) Hypothalamus C) Adrenal glands D) Thyroid glands
2. Where are the lower motor neuro
I. Types of cell-to-cell communication
neurotransmitters in synaptic vesicles
diffusion across the synaptic cleft
II. Sequence of events in the pre-synaptic
THE NEURON IN ACTION
I. In vitro stimulation studies
II. Properties of action potentials (APs)
B. Size of APs: all-or-none
C. Frequency of APs
absolute refractory period
THE NEURON AT REST
I. Recording from the giant axons of squid
Methodology and first recordings
II. The semi-permeable membrane
III. Forces on ions resulting from the semi-permeable membrane
1. What is absorption? Choose the correct option.
A) The bouncing of light rays off a surface
B) The bending of light rays from one transparent medium to another
C) The transfer of light energy to a particle or surface
D) The bouncing of light rays from o
1. What is microionophoresis? Choose the correct option.
A) Method of miniaturizing the brain for more efficient study
B) Method of removing small amounts of neurotransmitter from the synaptic
C) Method of applying small amounts of neurotransmitt
1. In the hierarchy of motor control, which of the following is a function at the lowest level
of control? Choose the correct option.
A) Activation of motor neurons that generates goal-directed movement
B) Sequences of muscle contraction to accurately ach
1. Which of the following is a striated muscle? Choose the correct option.
A) Cardiac and skeletal muscle
C) Cardiac muscle
B) Skeletal muscle
D) Smooth muscle
2. Which of the following is a flexor of the elbow joint? Choose the co
1. Identify a type of hairless skin. Choose the correct option.
A) Glabrous B) Epidermis C) Dermis D) Follicles
2. Which of the following has large receptive fields covering an entire finger or half of the
palm? Choose the correct
1. Insulin levels are maximal during which of the following phases of short-term
regulation of feeding behavior? Choose the correct option.
A) Cephalic B) Gastric C) Substrate D) Digestion
2. Hypothalamic neurons maintain homeostas
The EEG is primarily used to help
diagnose certain neurological conditions,
especially which of the following? Choose
the correct option.
A) Abnormal heart rhythms B)
Schizophrenia C) Brain tumors D)
1. How would a behaviorist treat maladaptive behavior disorders? Choose the correct
B) Reinforcing new behaviors
2. Which of the following statements describes the disorder call
1. What is the evidence that it is possible to shift attention to objects that are imaged on
parts of the retina outside the fovea? Choose the correct option.
A) A cue that directs attention to an image that is about to appear to the right or the
1. Which of the following is perceived as having a higher pitch? Choose the correct option.
A) Low-frequency sound waves
C) Low-intensity sound waves
B) High-frequency sound waves
D) High-intensity sound waves
2. Identify the two s
1. Which part of the brain is the major target of the retinofugal projection in
nonmammalian vertebrates? Choose the correct option.
A) Tectum of the midbrain
C) Part of the hypothalamus
D) Optic nerve
2. Which of the
1. How long does an action potential last from the beginning of the rising phase to the end
of the falling phase? Choose the correct option.
A) 2 nanoseconds B) 2 milliseconds C) 2 seconds D) 2 microseconds
2. What is meant by the
1. A simple reflex requires the nervous system to perform three functions. Two of these
functions are to collect and distribute information. What is the third function? Choose
the correct option.
A) Disintegrate information
C) Process information