Member of the most numerous ethnic and linguistic body of peoples in Europe,
residing chiefly in eastern and southeastern Europe but extending also across
northern Asia to the Pacific Ocean.
Slavic languages belong to the Indo-European family. Custo
Vladimir Propps Functions of the Fairy Tale
1. Absentation. One member of family absents himself or
2. Interdiction. An interdiction is addressed to the Hero: a
command, request, etc.
3. Violation. The interdiction is violated.
A Variant of the Fairy Tale
Based on Baba Yaga (page 363)
Once upon a time there lived a young man who attended Dartmouth College. The
young man was a freshman, and he had a very tight-knit group of friends on his floor
in Russell Sage dormitory. Every da
Folklore Midterm Review Questions
1. How and why do fairytales reflect rites of passage into adult society (coming of age)?
Often the hero is a young adult who must complete a task or else somehow demonstrate his
worth through a struggle, and
Final Review Questions
1. Distinguish epic songs from fairytales.
Epic songs are sung with poetic rhythm and believed to be true while fairytales tend to simply
be spoken and are believed to be fiction. Epics have a specific hero w
Logan Utah State University Press, 1986
Folk Groups and Folklore Genres : An Introduction [electronic resource]. Edited by
Elliott Oring. Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press c1986. Electronic
reproduction. Boulder, Colo. : NetLibrary, 1
Quest for the Magic Tables
A Variation on the Magic Swan Geese
Once upon a time, in a far of city, in a far off land, in a house
located far off the road, there lived a fraternity. And within this
fraternity there were many brothers, and
William Thoms* coined folklore after
Alan Dundes- folklore matters, defined folk
as groups of people w/ commonality.
Unilinear cultural evolution- civilization/
education less folklore.
Vladimir Propps Fairy Tale Functions, Reduced
1. Absentation. One member of family absents himself or herself.
2. Interdiction. An interdiction is addressed to the Hero: a command,
3. Violation. The interdiction is violated
Morphology of the Folktale
1. The Tale of Ivan Tsarevich, the Bird of Light, and the Grey Wolf (Afanasev p. 78-90):
Interdiction: Ivan, the hero of the fairytale, is commanded by the Tsar first to watch over his
fathers garden, and then to re