ChE 502 Spring 2016 HW Assignment 7 Solution
1. Find the standard enthalpy of reaction for the formation of trichloroethylene from
ethylene and chlorine.
C2 H 4 g 2Cl 2 g C2 HCl3 l H 2 g HClg
Re ac tan ts
ChE 502 Spring 2016 HW Assignment 9 Solution
1. Dry air is bubbled through liquid methyl ethyl ketone and emerges with a relative
saturation of 20.0 % at 70.0 oC and 1.00 atm. The mixture enters a burner at a rate of 2.50
m3/min where all of the limiting
ChE 502 Spring 2016 HW Assignment 8 Solution
1. Methanol is burned with 15 % excess air. Find the adiabatic flame temperature.
The combustion stoichiometry is
CH 3OH l O2 g CO2 g 2 H 2 Ol
The enthalpy of combustion is -727 kJ/mol.
Take a basis of one
ChE 502 Spring 2016 Practice Exam 3 Solution
1. Methane is reacted with steam to form carbon monoxide and hydrogen (as H2). A side
reaction between methane and water produces carbon dioxide and hydrogen. The feed to
the reactor contains methane and steam
ChE 502 Spring 2016 HW Assignment 2 Solution
1. Steam is released from a boiler through a valve. The steam in the boiler is at 260 oC
and 5.00 bar and may be considered stationary. It exits the nozzle at 240 oC and 4.00 bar.
The nozzle is adiabatic and ha