Jan, 25 2017
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 1
Chapter 1: The Science of Psychology
1. Define psychological science.
a. Psychological science is the study, through research, of mind, brain, and
2. Define critical thinking, and describe what it mea
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 9
Chapter 12: Social Psychology
Name Kayla Holt Date April, 5 2017
1. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of groups.
a. From an evolutionary standpoint, staying in groups is very advantageous but
its hard to find a good group dyn
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 8
Chapter 10: Emotion and Motivation
Name Kayla Holt Date March 30, 2017
1. Distinguish between primary and secondary emotions.
Primary emotions: emotions that are shared across multiple cultures, normally
there are 7: Anger, fear, sa
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 5
Chapter 7: Memory
Name Kayla Holt Date Feb. 22 2017
1. Define memory.
a. Is the ability of the nervous system to remember skills and knowledge,
2. Describe the three phases of memory.
a. Phase 1 = encoding which is where the brain pr
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 4
Chapter 6: Learning
Name Kayla Holt
Date Feb. 15, 2017
1. Define learning.
a. When your behavior changes because of something you have been through
2. Identify three types of learning processes.
a. Nonassociative learning: learning a
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 3
Chapter 4: Consciousness
Name Kayla Holt
1. Define consciousness.
a. Ones subjective experience of the world, resulting from brain activity
2. Identify varied states of consciousness.
a. Selective attention
b. Change blin
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 7
Chapter 9: Human Development
Name Kayla Holt Date March, 22 2017
1. Describe how the prenatal environment can affect development.
a. When you are in the womb (prenatal) your organs and immune systems begins
to develop but if these sy
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 6
Chapter 8: Thinking, Language, and Intelligence
Name Kayla Holt Date 3/1/17
1. Distinguish between analogical and symbolic representations.
a. Analogical representations are mental images that match the reality of an
object. Ex. A pi
PSY 1000 PREP GUIDE 2
Chapter 2: Research Methodology
Name Kayla Holt Date 2/1/17
1. Identify the four primary goals of science.
Description, prediction, control, explanation
2. Describe the scientific method.
A way of testing a hypothesis generated by a
The poets and philosophers
before me discovered the
unconscious; what I discovered
was the scientific method by which
the unconscious can be studied.
The Interpretation of