Nutrition is a process by which chemical substances called nutrients are acquired from the
environment and used in cellular activities such as metabolism and growth.
o chemical elements that are the structural materials of macromolecu
Chapter 3 Homework Bio211WS15 Professor Teixeira
1. What is another name for a negative stain? What do these stains do? And name two.
Answer: Acidic (anionic). These stains are the same charge as the cell membrane and are
repelled by it so they show the c
1. Spirochetes are motile but have no visible flagella so how do they move?
2. How is Giardia lamblia transmitted
3. What is the name of the well known disease caused by Coccidioides imitis.
4. How is Trichomonas vaginalis transmitted?
1. Name the most important properties of viruses.
Answer: Obligate intracellular parasites, a collection of inactive macromolecules outside
their specific host cell, they have characteristic shape determined by the protein shel
Name: _ Date: _
1.What is the formula mass of strontium phosphate, Sr3(PO4)2?
2.What is the mass in grams of one propane, C3H8, molecule?
1.99 10-23 g
Homework Ch1 Bio211F16 Q
1. Which is the correct order of the taxonomic categories, going from most specific to most
2. What are the domains of the Woese-Fox model of classification?
3. What are the phylogenetic characteristics used in the tradit