Research Synopsis 2
Hydrogels are extremely important in the field of biomaterials leading researchers to
continuously study all aspects of them, hoping to create the perfect one. This study analyzed the
use of N-cadherin (Ncad), a protei
BME 304 Final Study Guide
Quiz 1 Questions:
1. Describe the composition of an atom
a. What is a solid?
b. Why are solids useful?
c. What are materials?
d. What are biomaterials?
e. What is a tissue
2. From Robert H Meier article, History of arm amputation
BME 304 Quiz 2 practice
1. An artificial hip prosthesis is implanted in the bone. Describe the process of normal wound
healing. Discuss the potential complication pertinent to this case.
2. Define the following in terms of biology:
Quiz 4 possible questions:
Suggestions from classmates (Old questions, Might be changed on new quiz)
1. Draw the structure of heparin, cellulose, chitin and chitosan, how are they related to
glycosaminoglycans found in the ecf? (for reference some glycosa
Material Fundamentals of BME
Yuki Imura, Ph.D., Adjunct Professor
CHEN Building, 2nd Floor, Room 208
email: [email protected]
Office hours: Tuesdays, 4 to 5pm
Course Assistant: Mathew Long
Where do we start.?
BME 304 - MATERIAL FUNDAMENTALS OF BME - 3 Credits, 3 Contact hours
Instructor: Penelope Georges, Ph.D. ([email protected])
Suggested Textbook(s)/Materials (not required):
1. Agrawal, C. Mauli. Introduction to Biomaterials: Basic Theory with Engineering A
Writing Assignment 4
1. Name the material tested
SEM testing used on keratin hydrogels
2. Briefly describe how/why it was used to characterize your material
Researchers wanted to visualize the pores of the two different varieties of kerat
Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 6, June 2016 ( 2016) pp. 19211930
Emerging Trends in Biomaterials Research
Single Cell Imaging to Probe Mesenchymal Stem Cell N-Cadherin
Mediated Signaling within Hydrogels
Research Synopsis 3
Adhesion properties are integral in the use of biomaterials. By having the ability to promote
adhesion, researchers are able to create a biomaterial that interacts with the body. Therefore,
control of integrin binding
Research Synopsis 1
The ability of a hydrogel to erode is of paramount importance to its use. After inserting a
hydrogel, it needs to encourage growth while eroding, so it can be replaced by new tissues.
Specific hydrogels rate of
BME 304Practice Exam (MADE UP)
1. Describe the composition of an atom based on information created from the Big bang theory (IE
include what electrons are composed of ect)
2. What is matter?
3. What is a liquid?
4. What are materials?
-aggregations of ato