CH-281 Chapter 1 Topic Review
1. List the levels of biological organization and define each term (Fig 1.2).
Cell - Smallest unit with the
capacity to live and
or as part of a
CH2“ — Biology and Biotechnology (Spring 2012) - Examination 1.
Pledge: (pledge my honor that I have abided by the Sievem Honor Sysrem. ’ /Z '
February 23, 2012
I Do not open yum exam until insml
Chapter 14 Topic Review
1. Draw a picture of double-stranded DNA showing nucleic acid base pairing, the
backbones, the orientation of the backbones, and the dimensions of a single step
in the ladder. The picture should
Chapter 15 Topic Review
1. Draw a picture of DNA and the RNA that is transcribed from the DNA. Apply labels
including the orientation of the nucleic acid strands and the nomenclature (both
coding/template and sen
Chapter 16 Topic Review Questions
1. Draw a diagram representing the overall structure of a gene (DNA sequence
in the human genome) including locations of the enhancer, promoter,
introns, exons, and 5/3 untranslated regions, transcription start and end
Chapter 19 Topic Review
1. Understanding that neither parameter has a perfect correlation to
organism complexity, is genome size or the number of proteinencoding genes a better measure of the complexity of an organism?
Biology and Biotechnology
Parts of a Cell
DNA, chromatin from, proteins
o DNA gets transcribed into mRNA
o mRNA leaves the nucleus and gets translated into proteins at the ribosomes
Nucleus- membrane around DNA- separatin
“1dech my honor Marl have abided by HA9 ﬁgm _Ho“or S mm- '/
g L ChaptevbprichviwQuegﬁonL
L SmnglﬂshweLqEEcm/LDLL LLL. . LWLLWL LL \JmeLMQL ngwW
WL thﬂgteiblbjﬁﬁﬁfchﬂelogyi L W W WL W <ZQflloL
u, Au-ir.' -J-.'.:- 1.‘ L1
' nswer Sheet
Name (Print): I 9- Sb W (13" t h- t.) Recitation Section: RE.
"I pledge my honor that r have chided by the Stevens Honor System. " W
Do not open your exam until instructed.
- Amino acids have a functional group of -N-3H
- The functional groups of -N-3H and -C-2O are acidic
- the least polar functional group is -SH
- Hydrogen bonds are harder to break than only hydrophobic bonds, also known as bonds
created by van der
1st Exam-Year Unknown
The atomic number is the number of protons in an atoms nucleus.
In a single molecule of water, two hydrogen atoms are bonded to a single oxygen by polar covalent
Inter-atomic forces from strongest to weakest is Covalent Bondin
Ch 116 General Chemistry II
April 30, 2013
7 pledge my honor that I have abided by the Stevens
Each question 4 points, bonus problem 10 point
I N S T R U C T I O N S : Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the quesjjoftr^
All q u e s t i o n s m u s t be a t t e m p t e d . At least five questions must be answered c o r r e c t l y to receive full credit.
Chapter 2 Topic Review List
1. What are the four most prevalent types of atoms found in living organisms?
What are 4 other types of atoms found in living organisms? (Table 2.1)
2. Given the atomic number and mass, be able to draw the atomic structure