1. The mean age of five people in a room is 30 years. One of the people, whose age is 50 years,
leaves the room. The mean age of the remaining four people in the room
A) is 40.
B) is 30.
C) is 25.
D) cannot be determined from the information given.
Sec. 2.4 Examples
You are making sandwiches for a large event. You have available 3 different types
of breads, 6 different meats, and 4 different dressings. You will put one of each on
each sandwich. How many different types of sandwiches
P( A B ) P( A) P ( B) P( AB)
Sec. 4.2 & 4.9 Examples
1. Toss a fair coin 3 times. Find the expected number
of heads. What is the median number of heads?
2. Recall that for the envelope problem, the RV X = the
number of letters in the correct envelope had PMF:
Sec. 4.4 Example Problems
1. Let X ~ Bi(n, p). Derive the PMF of X.
2. Let X ~ Bi(n, p). Find:
b) MGF of X.
c) Use the MGF to find: i) the mean ii) the variance
3. Every time an NFL kicker attempts a 35 yard field goal, he
has a 70% chance of maki
Oral Exam Problem
Lucy is taking an oral exam that is being given by five professors.
Each professor decides independently if he thinks she has passed; if a
majority of them pass her, Lucy will pass the exam. Like most
Writing Assignment 4
In the article, Almonds have cholesterol benefits, researchers performed an
experimental study to determine the effects of almonds (at different consumption levels) on
lowering high cholesterol. The factor in the experiment is almonds
Midterm Review Questions
1. The length of life of a random sample of incandescent light bulbs was obtained, and the
results are in the table.
950-1100 1100-1250 1250-1400
(a) Plot a histogram.
Topic 1 Review Questions
1. A survey of 1,000 adult Americans asked each whether the best way to fight terrorism is to let
the terrorists know we will fight back aggressively or to work with other nations to find an
international solution. The first optio
1. The length and width for a sample of products made by a certain company are plotted below.
The correlation between length and width is calculated to be r = 0.827.
In the plot, not
Writing Assignment 1
Estimated HIV diagnoses in 2009 by race/ethnicity:
The statistic that jumps out from this pie chart is that a little more than half of all people that were diagnosed
with HIV in 2009 were Black/African American, which is the highest p
Writing Assignment 1-2
2. Based on the scatter plot, the data of Armspan (in) vs. Height (in) has a positive and
linear relationship. The relationship starts out strong, but then the relationship grows
weaker after around a height of 71 inches. Therefore,
Writing Assignment 3
On Thursday, December 22nd our AP Stats class conducted a taste test of three different
types or brands of cheesecakes (Brand A- Shop-Right New York Cheesecake, Brand B- Kirkland
Signature Cheesecake, and Brand C- Cheesecake Factory O
Sec. 4.5 Example Problems
1. Derive the PMF of the a) Geometric (1) and b) Geometric (2)
2. Let X ~ Geom(p). Derive: a) the mean b) the MGF.
Let X ~ Geom(p) and Y ~ Geom2(p). Find the CDFs of X and Y.
4. You keep rolling a fair die until