Chapter 1 (pgs 23-24)
17. What distinguishes power flow from signal flow?
- Power flow shows how power gets to the components, whereas signal flow shows
how information and data flows from the source(s) to the destination(s).
27. Why is getting the system
CASE STUDY: Consider a 500-gallon tank that needs to be filled when the level
goes below 25 gallons and will stop when the level goes above 475 gallons.
Control systems can be either open-loop or closed-loop; each one of them has its
own advantages and pr
21 September 2014
Discussion Forum 1 Group Answer
1. No sound is coming from speaker #1 when is first tested.
This particular problem is extremely vague. First, this problem does not state if Speaker
#2 is operational, nor does it state whether the system
17. Compare and contrast a voltage-to-current converter with a current-to-voltage
- Just as the names state, a voltage-to-current converter, converts input voltage to
output current, whereas a current-to-voltage converter converts a current inp
For each one of the situations described in Problem 18 in Chapter 6 (page 334335), choose a
sensor type and sensor method. Justify your choice
a. Count boxes (18in2) on a 24 in conveyer belt with cable access from only one side of the
21. Describe the two types of capacitance configurations used in capacitive proximity
- Capacitive prox sensors operate under the electronic principle of capacitance and detect the
presence of a part when an object of any material comes within th
Chapter 8 (pg. 424)
29. What is the difference between risk assessment and risk estimation?
- Risk assessment is an understanding of working limits and functions and then identifying
potential hazards. With these known factors, one can derive t
Questions (pg. 653-654)
2. Contrast the functions of a microcomputer, microprocessor, and
- A microcomputer is a stand-alone desktop or laptop device used for word
processing, spreadsheets, etc. It commonly comes with all the r
Questions (pg. 634)
9. Describe each of the major component parts of a PLC system.
- Backplane: A CCA that provides data and power interface for the PLC modules.
- Processor: The CPU is a microcomputer that handles logic operations and