1. What are the 3 lowest resonance modes for a concert hall which measures 120 feet
long, 75 feet wide, and has 40 foot ceilings?
The three lowest resonant modes in this room would be approximately 4.7 Hz, 7.5 Hz,
and 14.1 Hz.
2. Why do we need bass absor
Audio Recording HW #2
1. The difference between sound and the movement of low/high
pressure weather systems is simply time. The movement of the air
molecules is faster when dealing with sound and longer when dealing
2. The statement is inacc
Audio Recording For Musicians
Homework Assignment #1
-1. When the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases; they are inversely
proportional. Increasing or decreasing the wavelength will not change the
amplitude, and increasing or decreasing the ampli
5. What is a "floating floor" and why would we want to use one in out recording studio?
Floating floors are floors built upon springy materials. This prevents the floor both from
vibrating and transmitting sound elsewhere, neither of which are desirable i
Audio Recording Week 8
1. Delay is used to create a variety of perceptions. Describe two of these percieved
A slap delay, which is a popular vocal effect, is created by setting a delay time between
80 ms and 250 ms. Flanger is created by setting
1. A graphic EQ is typically found on a home stereo system.
2. A parametric EQ would be used to tune a room.
3. You would probably use a notch filter to get rid of a very small range of
4. Popular music is compressed so greatly because the pr
1. Wider tape is able to capture a larger dynamic range of frequencies and
therefore exhibits higher fidelity than thinner tape. Wider tape, however, is more
bulky and inconvenient.
2. The highest frequency that can be recorded is limited by the speed of
1. Dynamic microphones take acoustic energy and convert it
to electrical energy while loudspeakers take electrical
energy and convert it to acoustic energy. They have
essentially the same function but in opposite directions.
They also both function by uti
7. AC Bias adds a 123 kHz tone to the signal. That tone pushes the audio into a
linear pattern/flat frequency response. The 123 kHz tone is unheard during
playback because the high frequency's positive and negative charge occur
simultaneously and cancel o
5. Consider direct and reverberant soundfields. What is the advantage of using small
studio monitors positioned close to the mixing engineer?
Using small studio monitors positioned close to the mixing engineer may reduce the
ability to hear reflections of
2 October 2015
Plato vs. Boethius: Ideology
Philosophy is the study of fundamental nature of knowledge, thinking or
more so reality. Where, ideology is the study of the origin and nature of the ideas