'2 b V '
I. UNIT 1 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S 75
I ACTIVITY 1.135 Homework
1. In Activity 1.10, Ride for Less, you contacted two loca
l rental companies and obtained the
_ following information for the 1day cost of renting a truck. '
I. Company 1: $54.95 per
ACTIVITY 2.? 5 Expanding a Circular Garden S - 18
ACTIVITY 2.75 . . -
You look out the Window of an airplane and see large green or
brown circles in the landscape. These circles are created when plots
are irrigated with a pivoting pipe. The length of the
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S 105
ACTIVITY 4.2 Homework
1. For each of the following functions, determin
point (vertex); iii) the equation ofthe axis of
maximum output value. Ex
e the: i) the direction the graph opens; ii) the turning
symmetry; and i
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 90
ACTIVITY 2.75 - Homework
l. The cross-sectional area of a tree is A = JIIZ, and r = t +4, where r is the radius in centimeters t
a years after the tree was planted in your yard.
a. How large will the cross-sectional area
ACTIVITY 4.85 Homework UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 113
3. You have been asked to build a rectangular storage area next to a building with fencing on
three sides. You have 400 feet of fencing material and want to enclose the maximum area
possible. A pictu
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S 85
ACTIVITY 2.4 Homework
1. In 2006, there were 2 x109cellular phone subscribers in the world.
a. Write this number in standard notation.
b. [n 2000. there were 485,000,000 cell phone subscribers. Write this number in scientic
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 92
ACTIVITY 2.85 Homework
1. In Activity 1.3 (page 23) there is a table which relates the estimated speed of a car in mph to the
length of the skid mark that the car makes as it stops abruptly. In that activity, you establishe
1. You are a member of a group
to 25 kilometers. In these races
and the length of the race, you c
of distance runners who compete in races ranging in length from 5
, each runner who nishes
is told his or her time. Given the time
an calculate your average
UNIT 1 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 67
ACTIVITY 1.8 - Homework
1. Find the vertical and horizontal intercepts and graph each line by plotting those points.
vertical intercept (where x = 0)
/ V _
I l (1
horizontal intercept (where y = 0)
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 87
ACTIVITY 2.65 Homework
1. Consumer Reports has evaluated the safety of your car. In a 30-mileper-hour collision, the seat belt
will successfully deploy 98% ofthe time. In approximately 92% of collisions where the seat belt
UNIT 2 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S 79
ACTIVITY 2.1 Homework
1. Jackie sells time-shares for a large national chain. In an effort to attractfnew customers, she holds a
marketing dinner at a local hotel. The hotel charges $3 00 for the use of their banquet room and
ACTIVITY 5.35 - Homework
C is the cost of the ingredients for the baked goods,
F is the fee the store is charging to hold the sale on their property,
D is the amount of money donated to the team, and
S is the number of dancers that cannot attend.
UNIT 3 HOMEWORK PROBLEMS S - 122
ACTIVITY 5.5 Homework
1. Two pumps are working together to empty a gasoline tank.
a. The emptying times for pump 1 and pump 2 are 30 minutes and 45 minutes, respectively.
Determine the time to empty the tank if both pumps