25. The processes consumers use when making purchase decisions are called:
a. consumer behavior.
d. perceptual mapping.
e. database mining.
26. Which step in the consumer decision-making process is a result of an im
26. All of the following are examples of products EXCEPT:
a. carton of milk
b. contact lenses
d. pair of shoes
e. All of the above are products.
27. When a greenhouse plant grower sells plants to nursery retailers, the grower is sell
2. People feel better when they think they are getting a great bargain when they shop.
Knowing this, some retailers markup items above the traditional retail price and then
offer a 60 percent discount. If they had simply discounted the normal retail price
Over 25 years ago, Tim and Nina Zagat began publishing leisure guides containing
reviews of restaurants. Today, the renowned Zagat guides still contain reviews of
restaurants, but they also rate hotels, entertainment, nightlife, movies, shopping,
1. Provide some examples of brands that have garnered success with social media. Provide
some examples of some brands that have not been successful with social media. Based
on this comparison, what are the key ingredients to getting customers to engage wi
1) How are Coke and Pepsi using their Web sites, http:/www.coke.com and http:/www.pepsi.com,
to promote their newest product offerings? Do you see hints of any future strategies the
companies might implement? Where?
When logging onto coke.com, it became v
1. Visit the Web site of Menlo Logistics at www.con-way.com/en/logistics. What logistics
functions can this third-party logistics supplier provide? How does its mission fit in with
the supply chain management philosophy?
An outsider (third-party) logistic
1. Describe the level of involvement and the involvement factors likely to be associated with
buying a new computer. Do you think Apples Web site at http:/www.apple.com simplifies or
complicates the process for the average consumer? Explain in detail.
1). How does Philip Morris handle the sensitive issues associated with marketing tobacco? What
kind of information does its Web site at http:/www.philipmorris.com/ provide about smoking
and its negative effects on health? How do you think Philip Morris is
Go to Priceline.com. Can you research a tickets price before purchasing it? What
products and services are available for purchase? How comfortable are you with
naming your own price? Relate the supply and demand curves to customer-determined
29. _ is communication by marketers that informs, persuades, and reminds potential buyers of
a product in order to influence an opinion or elicit a response.
a. Distributive communication
b. Perceptual communication
c. Statistically provable ad
How many ways can Hoovers (http:/www.hoovers.com) benefit salespeople? Which of
its services would be most useful to marketing managers? Other businesspeople?
Hoover's is a D&B company that publishes company, industry, and executive contact information
2) Jane Barksdale has designed a line of clothing targeted toward Hispanic Americans. The items
are sold only by catalog and on the Internet. She thinks that she can increase sales by claiming in ads
that the firm is owned by a Hispanic American and that
3. Gary Caplan has developed a new energy drink designed to burn calories while
sleeping, which he intends to market to grossly overweight consumers. According to the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention, 20 percent of Americans are obese. Garys mot
2. How could you use the Web site http:/www.btobonline.com to help define a target
market and develop a marketing plan?
First, http:/www.btobonline.com has various assets to decide to help characterize a target
market. The BtoB website and magazine are fo
2. Not everyone thinks supermarket shopper cards are a bargain. Go to
http:/www.nocards.org and read several pages. Is the information compelling?
What do you think of shopper cards? You may want to use the Internet to research
shopper cards in more detai
3.) Go to the Web sites of JCPenney, http:/www.jcpenney.com, and Target,
http:/www.target.com. Compare which is more product-focused and which is more
brand focused. Which companys approach do you think will appeal more to the
Holy Grail target market of
2). Rubbermaid, http:/www.rubbermaid.com, the U.S. manufacturer of kitchen products and
other household items, is considering moving to global marketing standardization. What are the
pros and cons of this strategy?
Rubbermaid could very possibly do well m
How does a Web sites ease of use affect its ability to create attention, interest, desire,
and action? Visit the kitchen and bath pages of Kohlers Web site
(http:/www.kohler.com) and determine how successful the company is at moving
consumers through t
1. Go to the Gift Center at online wine retailer wine.coms Web site at
http:/www.wine.com. How does this site help shoppers select gifts?
After going to wine.com's site, I thought that it was extremely useful in light of the fact that
there are a few pres
3. What is Cheerios doing to compete successfully in the maturity stage? Go to its Web
site, http:/www.cheerios.com, to find out.
Cheerios is utilizing their site to position their products. They engage numerous
types of consumers which incorporates kids,
1. How does Hormel use its Web site (http:/www.hormel.com) to promote its products? Is
the site designed more to promote the company or its brands? Check out the Spam Web
site at http:/www.spam.com. How do you think Hormel is able to successfully sustain