Was fully implemented in May, 2010
Is a government policy
Is designed to protect people in the workplace against genetic discrimination
Is linked to our ability to sequence the entire human genome
All of the above
2. Which of the fo
1. There are a number of ways that one can determine if a cell is undergoing apoptosis or
necrosis. Which of the following is not considered a characteristic of, or associated with,
an apoptotic cell?
a. DNA degrades
b. DNA appears as a ladder on a DNA ge
1. Our view of the cell membrane has changed over the years and in many cases has
depended heavily on the development of new technologies.
a. How did Langmuir contribute to our understanding of cell membranes?
a.i. Langumir was a scientist who was the pio
1. Cell adhesion molecules and the extracellular matrix are critical for cell recognition and
a. Explain why calcium is important to select cell adhesion molecules.
a.i. Calcium is important to select cell molecules because it allows cad
1. Affinity chromatography and SELDI-TOF can both use antibodies as the capture
molecule to selectively sort out a target protein.
a. How do these techniques differ from each other and how can each use antibodies?
SELDI-TOF uses laser, protein chips, and
1. Fluorescence immunocytochemistry and ELISA both use antibodies and fluorescence
(or alternatively colorimetric substrate conversion in the case of ELISA).
a. Pose a hypothetical research application for each. In other words, develop a brief
Biology 313 Homework
Week of 9-19 2016
1. (4pts) Shown here is data taken in a classic study of the role of the Na+/K+ pump in 1955 by
Hodgkin and Keynes. For this study, Na+ ions were radioactively labeled, injected into a squid
giant axon and the
Discussion for the week of 9-12
1. (5pts) A number of drugs act on the autonomic nervous system: For each of the following,
state: (1) whether the drug is acting on the sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous system (2) its
effect, as as
Discussion for the week of 9-6
1. (1pt) Take a look at the brief research summary at the following site:
Then answer the following question, simply based on what the summary says (easy
The Driving Force tells you the strength of the forces acting on each ion
a to move it into or out of the neuron
b it is the difference between the membrane potential and the ions equilibrium
i Vm Eion
ii Whether the io
Discussion for the week of 8-29
1. Many animals have simple reflexes that are similar to the knee jerk reflex. Your TA will
demonstrate reflexes in a caterpil
1. During an action potential, the neuronal membrane
a) suddenly becomes 20X more permeable to Na+ than to K+
b) this leads to a depolarization (more (+) value) of the membrane
c) to a value you can calculate using the Goldman (Constant Field) Equation
1. CSF bathes CNS externally, being held in place by membrane layers
a. is produced choroid plexus within ventricles
b. gets reabsorbed at one of the membranes, so it cycles
1. The peripheral nervous system includes the
2. peripheral nerves and the
1. Scientists who worked on cell membranes often chose a particular type of cell as their
preferred model for their investigations. What was this cell type?
a. Red blood cells
b. Normal human epidermal keratinocytes
c. Normal human dermal fibroblasts
Directions: There are 75 questions in this exam with only one correct answer for each.
All answers are to be placed on the grid sheet. Make sure that you mark the version of
your exam for question #76. The version is listed at the end of this exam.
What is this technique/instrument/application and how is it accomplished?
What type of question would this technique/instrument/application address in cell
and molecular biology?
Bright field microscopy/compound light microscope (pathologist, h
a. Can be viewed using freeze fracture
b. Superficially look like a flower
c. Consists of 6 subunits
d. Are the key parts of gap junctions
e. All of the above
2. Which of the following organelles or structures is named after Camillo Golgi?
Introduction: The problem sets in this course will become increasingly research
focused as we progress through the course. Also, note that in some cases the answers
to the questions may not necessarily be derived from either your text or the lecture