African History:09.25.15. West African States and
1. What did Askiya Muhammad Ture use as a unifying force for his
strengthened the administration of the Songhay Empire and used
Islam to reinforce his authority and unite the far reachin
Central-West Africa in the 18th Century (7)
1) What was the impact of how Christianity developed under King Afonso of the Kongo?
Afonso exchanged letters with his brother monarch, the king of Portugal and
opened communication with the Pope I Rome. Within
Prelude to Empire: Missionaries in Africa
Why did Christianity have little success in the initial missionary attempts in Africa?
In Ethiopia during the 1540s, foreign Jesuit missionaries had little success in
converting Ethiopian Chr
African History Notes: Kingdoms of Benin and Asante
1) How did Ewuare strengthen and stabilize his administration?
Ewuare strengthened his administration by selecting and appointing his own district
2) When and why did the Oba of Benin eng
African History Notes: Oyo and Dahomey (6)
1) Being that Oyo was located in the woodlands, what advantages did this terrain provide
over that of forest civilizations?
Oyo was situated in the savannah woodland north of the tropical forest.
The region was
African History Notes 09.29.2015 Hausa and Yoruba
1. What was the foundation of Gobirs economic progress?
Gobirs economic strength and prosperity came from its transSaharan trading contacts on the eastern fringes of Mali and
2. What were
African History Notes: North and Northeast Africa
1) What was the wealth of any Egyptian dynasty supported by?
Mamluk wealth as with all Egyptian dynasties was supported by the productive capacity
of the Egyptian peasantry
2) What often happened to those
Ethiopia in the 19th century
1) How was the reign of Tewodros II important for the future survival of
Ethiopia as an independent state?
Though the 13 year reign of Tewodros was to end in disaster and
suicide, it was nevertheless crucially important for th
African History Notes September 18, 2015 Atlantic Slave Trade
1) What were the aims of Portuguese exploration along the West African coast?
a. Were to by pass Muslims in north Africa and gain direct accesses to the gold
producing regions of west Africa