1. The art of music, while containing many elements, can basically be characterized as
A. tone color and pitch.
B. melody and harmony.
C. sound in time.
D. vibrations in scale patterns.
2. The time aspect of music is commonly called
create a mood of
Procession to the
Baroque Part IV
In Baroque vocal music, composers used certain musical devices consistently to correspond
to certain emotions, or _, as theorists called them.
C. word painting
The real basis of opera's appeal in the Ba
An organ composition incorporating a hymn tune is called a(n)
Handel, Julius Caesar, Aria, "La giustizia"
[6-CD set: CD 2, track 11, 1:47-2:15]
In the da capo aria "La giustizia," what is noti
11.Master Leonin and his follower Protin are known as part of the _ of organum.
A. Paris school
B. Notre Dame school
C. Lyon school
D. St. Germain school
12."Sumer Is Icumen In" is an example of a
1. The Middle Ages spans a time period of nearly _ years of European history.
2.The official music of the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages is called
C. hymn tunes.
41. A single unaccompanied melody is the simplest texture, called
One person singing the tune while playing chords on a guitar is demonstrating the texture
31. While the distance between any two pitches is called an interval, the smallest interval in
Western music is called a(n)
A. half step.
B. diatonic step.
32. The children's tune Three Blind Mice starts with
A. two descending half
21. What is another term for tone color?
22. What determines tone color?
A. the pitch of the sound
B. the materials of the sound-producing body
C. the amount and exact mixture of overtones produced
D. the loud
11. Tempo, or the rate of speed of regular beats of the meter, is usually indicated with Italian
A. adagio, allegretto, and presto.
B. piano, mezzo forte, and forte.
C. crescendo and decrescendo.
D. legato and staccato.
12. The rate of speed of
Professor Carlos Fabara
February 17, 2015
CUNY Chancellor James Milliken.
James B. Milliken is Chancellor of The City University of New York, the nations
leading urban public university. Milliken was appointed Chancellor and Dist