Fallacies: Chapter Four, pp.75-88; 3-1, #11-21 & 4-1, #1-9
1. Argument in a student essay: "Prostitution should not be legalized because it encourages the
breakdown of the family. Nevada, where prostitution is legal in ten count
Reading Questions for the Euthyphro
1. Who is prosecuting Socrates and why? (1-2)
Metelus, the deme of Pitthis, is prosecuting Socrates for corrupting his young
2. What are the charges that Socrates is accused of? (1-2)
Reading Questions for Cliffords Ethics of Belief
1. Why does Clifford say that we should hold the shipowner responsible for the death of
those on the ship that sunk?
Clifford says that we should hold the shipowner responsible, because no
Diagramming Arguments Homework Assignment
I have indicated the different claims in the first two problemsyou must identify the premises and
conclusion in the remaining arguments and, of course, diagram them; finally indicate the kind of
1. Valid. Although Moby Dick is science fiction, the conclusion doesnt necessarily follow the
premise. It is an invalid conclusion that Shakespeare wrote a science fiction novel. The
argument is sound because if the premises were true,
Reading Questions for Peirces The Fixation of Belief
1. Why arent we perfectly logical animals? (1)
We arent perfectly logical animals because we are sanguine and hopeful.
We base our knowledge on what will self-satisfy.
2. What determi
1. Valid. Although Moby Dick is science fiction, the conclusion doesnt necessarily follow
the premise. It is an invalid conclusion that Shakespeare wrote a science fiction novel.
The argument is sound because if the premises were true,
Translation HW Assignment 2
Translate the following into standard form categorical propositions.
1. She gains weight whenever shes depressed.
All times that she gains weight are times that she is depressed 2.
Shes depressed whenever