1) The part of the computer that executes the software is called the _CPU_.
2) When a program is being executed a copy of the binary code is located in _RAM_.
3) Name two I/O devices. Hard Drive and USB Dr
Lab 8: Web Attacks and Scams
2) Spam Email
3) So the bot herder doesnt detect and counter the action to stop the bot herder.
4) So the botnet doesnt continue generating spam and effecting computers.
Place your answers in a new MS Word document and submit the document to Moodle.
Suggested Reading (many editions available in Library)
Fluency With Information Technology 4th edition by Snyder, pages 234-23
Steve n Peralta
Computer Information Systems
Midterm Hw :
1. The host substring identifies a computer or other network device. Hosts come from
1) DNS: Domain Name System
2) LAN: Local Area Network
3) WAN: Wide Area Network
4) IP Address
5) Host Name
6) Top Level Domain
7) Control information and User data
8) TCP and IP
9) I.P. (Internet Protocol) i
April 3rd, 2012
Computer Hardware and Software
-Hardware: tangible part of the computer or computing device.
-Software: nontangible data that is executed (run) by the computer hardware.
Software is stored on some form of media CD, DVD, USB Drive
CIS 110 Lab 1: Computer Basics
(30th Aug 2012)
1. Computers are unique in that they are general-purpose devices. In other words, they
were not designed for a very specific purpose, the way a watch is designed to keep time
and a dictionary is designed to p
What is Information System? What are the components of Information Systems? What
are differences among Data, Information, and Knowledge?
A set of interrelated components that collect, process store and distribute
information to support decision-making
Text: Fluency With Information Technology by Lawrence Snyder (available in Library)
Third Edition (in Library): 118-143, 204-222 or
Second Edition (in Library): 127-150, 217-241 or
First Edition (in Library): 119-141, 203-2
1. -Cascading Style Sheets- styling sheet language used to describe the presentation
semantics (the look and formatting) of a document written in markup language.
-primarily to enable the separation of document content form document
presentation (fonts, l
1. peripherals- physical stuff, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.
2. F/E cycle- 5 operaitons in a computer to get information
-Machine Instruction- ADD MUL SUB
-soeed of compute rmeasured in number of instructions executed per second
(number of F/E cycles per
Part 1 Blank-Filling Questions
1) LAN: Local Area Network
2) DNS: Domain Name System
3) HTML: Hyper Text Markup Language
4) The five elements of Communication are message, medium, transmitter, receiver, and
5) Name two pieces of information that
Name: _Eric Lavelanet_
Short Answer (60%)
1) Two computers are communicating over the Internet. One computer receives packet
number 6 before packet number 5. How could this happen?
LIFO method, last in first out. What ever packet is sent ou
Suggested Reading (All editions are available at the reserve desk of the library)
Text: Fluency with Information Technology by Lawrence Snyder
3rd edition pages 63-86 or
2nd edition pages 66-92, or
1st edition pages 61-85
Computer Information Systems
February 17, 2014
1. Facebook IP address
2. Twitter IP address
4. 650 college rd, Princeton NJ, 08540
Lab 5: Search Engines and Web Advertising
1) A search engine that allows you to search via clicking down through a hierarchy of
topics is called a _ hierarchical_ search engine.
2) Why does this type of search engine require volunteers? Why cant c
Lab 3: Web Attacks
1) We discussed this type of attack in class. What is the name of this type of
attack? _DoS or Denial of Service Hacking_.
2) What type of software was used to launch the attack?
3) What does this attack do to the victi
Fluency With Information Technology 3rd edition by Lawrence Snyder
pages 226-247, 331-332
or Fluency With Information Technology 2nd edition (available in Library)
or Fluency With Information
DBMS: (Database management systems) Program that allows us to store massive
amounts of data, and allows the data to be queried and modified.
Spreadsheets: (Excel) are not meant to store and manipulate large amounts of data,
rather it is for analyzing smal