Flow: For Love of water
Ends up in rivers and streams and then ends up in water supply and drinking it again.
It changes the chemistry in our bodies and it is hurting us- these pharmaceuticals.
Rachels and Franzen
Rachels: The Challenge of Cultural Relativism
1. In this essay, Rachels offers various criticisms of the "cultural differences argument."
One argument he makes is that the conclusion doesn't follow fr
Benedict and McWilliams
Benedict: Anthropology and the Abnormal
1. In her essay Anthropology and the Abnormal, Ruth Benedict argues that moral norms
are culturally defined. How does she use the examples of mysticism, hom
Dirt!: The Movie
The central message of the film Dirt! was to enlighten the viewer on the importance of
soil in the world. Dirt today originated from the last ice age. People dont realize that our soil is
Due- October 26th, 2012
Vegetarianism through Utilitarian and Deontological Views
One thing which human beings spend a lot of their time thinking about is food. Thoughts
about food run constantl
Singer and Steinback
All Animals are Equal
1. Singer thinks that our treatment of animals is characterized by speciesism. What does he
mean by speciesism? Why, according to Singer, is speciesism as unacceptable as sexism
McWilliams: Just Food
1. McWilliams argues that, ideally, people shouldn't eat any meat or consume animal
products. What sorts of reasons does he give for this claim?
McWilliams insists that a necessary precondition for
Kant and McWilliams
- Kant, Lectures on Ethics, pp. 1-5, 11-14, 36-47, 59
Kant, Lectures on Ethics
1. What does Kant mean by "technical," "prudential" and "moral" imperatives?
The objective laws of the free willare divis
Bentham and McWilliams
1. Why does Bentham think we should base moral judgments on the relationship between
our actions and pleasure and pain?
Bentham is a consequentialist. He believes that mankind is governed by pain a
Colbert, Aquinas and Primatt
1. According to Colbert, what would Jesus eat and why? That is, why does Colbert
think it would be good for us to eat like Jesus ate?
What Jesus ate was a diet based upon biblical principles t