Homework Set #3 Solutions
Calculate the density of FeO, given that it has the rock salt crystal structure.
We are asked to calculate the theoretical density of FeO. This density may be computed using
Equation (12.1) as
n#( AFe + AO )
Homework #1 Solutions
1. (a) Cite two important quantum-mechanical concepts associated with the Bohr model of the atom.
(b) Cite two important additional refinements that resulted from the wave-mechanical atomic model.
(a) Two important quantum-m
HW #2 Solutions
If the atomic radius of aluminum is 0.143 nm, calculate the volume of its unit cell in cubic meters.
For this problem, we are asked to calculate the volume of a unit cell of aluminum. Aluminum has
an FCC crystal structure (Tabl
Homework Set #4 Solutions
1. The number-average molecular weight of a polypropylene is 1,000,000 g/mol. Compute the degree of
m = 3(AC) + 6(AH)
= (3)(12.01 g/mol) + (6)(1.008 g/mol) = 42.08 g/mol
M n 1, 000, 000 g/m
HW #5 -
5.3 Calculate the activation energy for vacancy formation in aluminum, given that the equilibrium number
of vacancies at 500C (773 K) is 7.57 1023 m-3. The atomic weight and density (at 500C) for aluminum
are, respectively, 26.98 g
Quiz 1 Solutions
1. a. Give the electron configuration for Ti (Titanium).
b. What are the four oxidation states of Ti?
Oxidation states: +1, +2, +3, +4
Quiz 4 Solutions
1. For the two carbon atoms identified by the arrows below, determine the orbital
hybridization on each (sp, satoms identified by the arrows below,
1. For the two carbon p2, sp3, etc.).