1. Which gland controls basal metabolic rate (BMR)?
2. Elderly people are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes due to the decline in _
a. Thyroid hormone
1. Receptors for steroid hormones are found _.
a. on nutrient molecules, such as glucose
b. in the cell membranes of target tissues
c. in the cytoplasm of the cells of target tissues
d. in the interstitial fluid
2. Name the gland that is located at the ba
1. Which of the following statements regarding pituitary hormones is FALSE?
a. The hypothalamus makes oxytocin and antidiuretic hormone, which are
transported to the posterior pituitary for storage.
b. Antidiuretic hormone (ADH), released by the posterior
1. The field of _ studies the organs and chemicals that regulate life processes such as
growth, reproduction, and metabolism.
2. An individual hormone affects only certain tissue cells called its
1) The maculae of the vestibule record _ whereas the crista of the
semicircular ducts record _.
a. flexion; extension
b. high balance; low balance
c. static equilibrium; dynamic equilibrium
d. light equilibrium; heavy equilibrium
e. dynamic equilibrium; s
1) The photoreceptors in the eye are found in the _.
c. Choroid coat
2) The sensory hair cells of the organ of Corti are located on the _.
b. Tympanic membrane
c. Tectorial membrane
d. Vestibular membrane
1. Focusing the light rays involves which of the following?
a. Change in the density of the aqueous humor
b. Change in the relative position of the lens
c. Change in the location of the optic disc
d. Change in the shape of the lens
e. Change in the shape
1. Smell, taste, sight, and hearing are collectively called _ senses.
2. The eyelid is considered a(n) _ structure of the eye.
3. The _ glands release t