1) Most simply stated, the major function of the cardiovascular system is _.
2) The heart is located in the inferior _ with its _ pointed toward the left hip.
a. mediastinum, base
b. mediastinum, a
1) Which of the following would NOT cause an increase in the heart rate?
a. Release of epinephrine into the blood
b. An increase in body temperature
d. Stimulation of the vagus nerve
e. Sympathetic stimulation
2) Which of the following would N
1) What portion of the ECG indicates ventricular repolarization?
a. QRS complex
b. T wave
c. P wave
d. P-Q interval
e. R spike
2) You are not an athlete and you are not physically fit. If you suddenly partake in
physical exercise, the increased demands of
1) The walls of _ are usually much thicker than the walls of _.
a. veins, arteries
b. capillaries, arteries
c. arteries, veins
d. capillaries, valves
2) Which of the following do/does not ultimately drain into the inferior vena cava
a. Hepatic vein
1) What unique feature connects the anterior and posterior blood supplies of the
brain, providing more than one route for blood to reach brain tissue in a given
a. Coronary circulation
b. Hepatic portal circulation
c. Circle of Willis
d. Ductus arte
1) The doctor sticks your finger, takes some blood, and does a WBC count. The count
(12,500 cells/mm3) indicates leukocytosis. What could you conclude?
a. It is a low WBC count, caused by certain drugs and anticancer agents.
b. You received a blood transf
1) Each of the following occurs when blood clots after a cut EXCEPT _.
a. platelets release clotting factor
b. thromboplastin converts prothrombin into thrombin
c. fibrin filaments trap cells to produce a clot
d. thrombin converts fibrin into fibrinogen
1) If a person has type AB blood, then that person can receive blood from which type
a. people with types AB, A, B, or O
b. people with type AB but not O, A, or B
c. people with types A, B, or O
d. only people with types AB or O
2) A protein in th
1) Blood is a complex _ tissue and is the only _ tissue in the body.
a. nervous, saline
b. connective, colloidal
c. muscle, fluid
d. connective, fluid
2) The living cells and cell fragments in blood are called the _ elements and include