1) The tubular portion of the uterus that extends inferiorly into the superior region of
the vagina is known as the _.
a. cervix of the uterus
2) The rupture of the Graafian follicle and the releas
Summary of Male Reproductive System Functions
Testes produce sperm and testosterone (androgen)
Duct system transports, stores, and assists in sperm maturation
Accessory glands secrete most of the liquid portion of semen and these secretions
1) Regarding physiological changes that occur during pregnancy in the respiratory
system, which of the following statements is TRUE?
a. Vital capacity and respiratory rate increase during pregnancy, but residual
b. Vital capacity, respira
1) Which of the following is not true of mammary glands?
a. Mammary glands are modified sweat glands.
b. Mammary glands are present in both males and females.
c. Mammary glands decrease in size at puberty.
d. Mammary glands produce milk.
2) From the ejacu
1) Sex organs called _ produce sex cells called _.
a. gametes, gonads
b. gonads, gametes
c. oocytes, ova
d. spermatids, sperm
2) Sperm is formed in the _.
b. seminiferous tubules
d. vas deferens
3) Primary spermatocytes are _ wherea
Oogenesis and the Ovarian Cycle
The total supply of eggs are present at birth
Ability to release eggs begins at puberty
Reproductive ability ends at menopause
Oocytes are matured in developing ovarian follicles
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) caus
Remnant of an ovulated follicle
If pregnancy occurs, this structure releases progesterone, estrogens, relaxin,
and inhibin hormones
Eventually degenerates and becomes fibrous tissue.
Mechanisms of Fertilization
One sperm per
The Reproductive System
Gonadsare the primary sex organs
Testes in males
Ovaries in females
Gonads produce gametes (sex cells) and secrete hormones
Sex cells (gametes) have 23 chromosomes
o Spermmale gametes
o Ova (eggs)female gametes