1. Formalizing goals into written statements would not help Abbey in her goal setting process.
2. Challenging goals will not boost our performance levels even if the goals are realistic.
3. In writing goals, it i
1. The concept of diversity is only related to race or ethnicity.
2. Gender and ethnic heritage are considered primary dimensions of diversity.
3. Establishing superior customer service is a positive outcome of e
20. Which of the following is NOT true of "asking for feedback"?
A. It strengthens our affiliation or sense of belonging with an organization
B. Feedback can sometimes weaken the things we are doing well
C. People viewing themselves as short-term or tempo
In terms of the four "Ps", the purpose of a meeting:
A. Is to determine if a meeting must be held
B. Is to determine the appropriate size and composition of the participants
C. Is to consider the skills, knowledge base and background of the p
Marta needs to have a meeting with her design team to decide on a theme and layout as well
as develop a proposal for a new advertising client. Marta's objectives would best be handled by
a(n) _ meeting.
A. Information dissemination
22. Identify the power based on a person's ability to influence because of others' desire to identify or
associate with him or her.
A. Referent power
B. Legitimate power
C. Expert power
D. Information power
23. In Ben's presentation to the board, he was a
When Nicholas told his department they would be able to leave early for the holiday if they
completed the budget reports, he was relying on which power base to motivate his
De - Chapt
36. The process by which individuals present themselves in order to attempt to influence others'
perceptions of themselves is called:
C. Impression management
D. Information management
37. Terry went to a job interview dressed
Chapter 12 Key
Power is the ability to get someone to do something you want or the ability to make things
happen in the way you want them to.
De - Chapter 12 #1
Using a medical doctor in advertisements to warn pregna
All of the following are the ways to keep organizational politicking in check, except:
A. Keeping limited communication channels
B. Reducing task ambiguity
C. Providing sufficient resources
D. Formalizing structure
De - Chapter 12 #42
After being at his new position for a year, Ronald wants to try to advance within his
organization. All of the following are the dimensions that Ronald should evaluate to determine
appropriate levels of politicking, except:
A. The competition
Adam, the accounting manager, told Susan, the payroll clerk, that "she did a good job". This is
considered effective feedback.
De - Chapter 11 #6
Effective feedback should not include telling employees what you think
Chapter 10 Key
The increase in team-based projects has reduced the need for meetings.
De - Chapter 10 #1
Meetings can fulfill psychological or social needs of organizational members.
De - Chapter 10 #2
Chapter 11 Summary
# of Questions
De - Chapter 11
1. Power is the ability to get someone to do something you want or the ability to make things happen
in the way
Interpersonal Skills in Organizations
1. Relying solely on others' thoughts or beliefs about what is best for us can lead to personal or
2. Michael can gain greater self-awareness through limiti
Suggest some coping strategies can be used to deal with stress.
A number of coping strategies can be used to deal with stress.
Identify your stressors and stress levels.
Implement time management skills.
Learn to share and disclose.
Which of the following is a primary dimension of diversity?
A. Ethnic heritage
C. Work style
D. First language
De - Chapter 04 #16
Examples of secondary dimensions of diversity are:
A. Age, education,
List and describe the benefits of goal setting.
Answers will vary but should include the following reasons:
De - Chapter 02 #31
Discuss some of the diversity issues faced by your organization. Examine the benefits derived
from diversity and present strategies for overcoming the problems caused by the diversity in
your organization. Discuss how the organization c
6. During a conversation, if Richard asks questions for clarification, he can hinder the active listening
7. The average person remembers less than half of what he or she has heard the previous day.
8. Our physiological proc
42. Compare and contrast the differences in the ways men and women communicate.
43. Write a short note on long-term versus short-term orientation.
Chapter 4 Key
The concept of diversity is only related to race or ethnicity.
De - Chapter 0
25. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of active listening?
C. Indirect eye contact
D. Restating in your own words
26. Which of the following would NOT contribute to active listening?
A. Giving feedback to check
Terry was very surprised when Pat came to him and stated that there was a problem with this
week's productivity level. After all, the levels had been the same for the past five weeks. The
problem with Pat's feedback was that it was not:
To maximize a group's effectiveness, what strategies can be implemented after or during the
Answers should cover some or all of the following issues:
Before the next meeting, have the minutes and next meeting agenda typed up and
1. Time management helps us to achieve a balance between work and personal life.
2. Time management would help Keenan to prioritize and accomplish more goals in life, resulting in
a sense of well-being.