Lesson 7. Confucius, Analects, Bk 1, 2, 4, Bk 5 (5, 11, 25, 27, 28), Bk 6 (3, 5, 11, 18, 21,
27), Bk 7, Bk 9 (4, 14, 18, 21-24)
1. Bk 1, sections 4-8, all emphasize being trustworthy in what one says. What does that
mean? Why does Confucius believe it is
a. justice and strength
b. explain virtue in political life
c. role of myth/faith in afterlife
d. justice greater value when in public
i. public image
e. fear shapes individuals
f. payment of penaltyjustice
g. will to listen to adv
What is the importance of vision and action?
Why is sacrifice essential to enlightenment?
- What is sacrifice?
- Must be doing something to find enlightenment
- Action is essential to enlightenment
What is salvation?
September 29, 2015
what is justice?
o cephalus = follow the rules, tell the truth, giving whats owed
Socrates says its not a good def because it creates a dilemma
o polemarchus = helping friends, harm
Social Foundations Notes
Writing in stone
o Long lasting
Knowledge of ancient Hebrew
o Recorded religious scriptures
o Own selective writings that are religious in nature
Tower of Babel
o Insecurity by the divine
Marcus Aurelius Notes
o Part of the 5 greatest Roman emperors
o adopted emperor
shows that social class is not fixed, you can build yourself up
o very successful emperor
o very modest
tries to humb
October 29, 2015
o Corner stone for moral behavior
Theme of parental care
o Can extrapolate through how someone treats their parents
o Show respect
o If you respect your parents you will respect ot
Social Foundations 1
Confucius: The Analects books IV-X
Is there a common theme?
The Themes of Humanness, The Gentleman, Rites and Ritual, Filial Piety, Propiety and
Government appear often through out books I
Social Foundations I/ Professor Moore
November 5, 2015
Reflection Essay: Understanding Ancient Egypt through the Afterlife
Much of what we know about Ancient Egyptian society today is based on artifacts and
documents showing the Egyptian
Lesson 8. Confucius, Analects, Bk 11 (4, 12, 22), Bk 12, Bk 13 (4, 5, 18), Bk 14, Bk 15,
Bk 17 (2, 25)
1. Does Confucius hold up the same ideal for everyone, or does he recognize and respect
basic differences among people?
Confucius recognizes and respect
Lesson 5. Bhagavad Gita, (chs. 1-3, 5, 6, 7.26-7.30, 8-11, 14, 18)
1. Why doesnt the warrior, Arjuna, want to fight? Are the people he opposes in battle
Because they were his family, friends, and mentors; he also does not want to use violence
Lesson 3. Smith, Hinduism, pp. 12-41
1. In section 1 ("What people want"), Smith describes three kinds of things people want.
What are they?
Smith says people want being (life), knowledge, and joy.
2. Some people are satisfied with ordinary pleasures, suc
Lesson 6. Smith, Confucius, pp. 154-193
1. Based on Smith's discussion, what would you say Confucius wanted to accomplish?
What were his main goals?
2. The three rival answers to Confucius' answer depend on three different pictures of
what people are like
Lesson 4. Smith, Hinduism, pp. 41-75
1. Hindus say a person who learns to control his desires, posture, breathing, perceptions,
thoughts, and so on, is more free than a person who cannot control these things. Do you
I agree because he who can contr
Lesson 2. Epicurus, Letter to Herodotus, (NYU Classes, Resources)
1. Why does Epicurus believe that nothing comes from nothing, i.e., that from
nothingness, nothing can emerge, and that something cannot be reduced to nothing?
Epicurus believed that nothin
Lesson 1. de Botton, Chap 2 (NYU Classes, Resources), Epicurus, Principle Doctrines
1. According to de Botton and Epicurus, what specifically is it about friendship that
makes us happy?
It is the congenial company when you are not eating alone that makes
Lesson 11. Smith, Buddhism, 82-112
1. Why do you think the Buddha was so influential and made such an impact on people?
Why would people be attracted to him?
He had a cool head and a warm heart, a blend that shielded him from sentimentality on
the one han
Social Foundations I Midterm Study Guide
For the midterm, I will select 5 of the following short answer questions of
which you will answer three and I will select three of the following essay
questions of which you will answer one.
Short Answer Questions: