15. What is the IUPAC name of
16. Which of the following is a complete and correct IUPAC name?
96. Which of the following is true of heparin?
A. it is an oligosaccharide
B. it has a formula weight of 6,000 g/mole
C. it has a formula weight of 30,000 g/mole
D. it has a range of formula weights, from of 6,000 to 30,000 g/mole
97. Which of the followi
22. Given that the reaction N2(g) + 2 O2(g) 2 NO2(g) is endothermic, which of the following is true of
the reaction 2 NO2(g) 2 N2(g) + 2 O2(g) ?
A. its activation energy is lower than that of b. its activation energy is higher than that of 2 NO2(g) 2
40. The isobutyl group is obtained by doing which of the following?
A. removing a hydrogen atom from C-1 of butane
B. removing a hydrogen atom from C-2 of butane
C. removing a hydrogen atom from C-1 of 2-methylpropane
D. removing a hydrogen atom from C-2
56. Which definition of oxidation is most useful when considering the oxidation of primary or secondary
A. gain of oxygen
B. loss of electrons
C. loss of hydrogen
D. none of these, 1 and 2 alcohols are not oxidized
57. Which definition of oxidat
89. The ammonium ion has the formula NH4+. How many nonbonding electrons must be shown in the Lewis
structure of the ammonium ion?
90. How many bonds does a carbon atom typically form?
91. Ethylene has the formula C
46. Which of the following is the correct IUPAC name of
47. Which of the following is the correct IUPAC name of
20. What is the correct IUPAC name of
21. What is an acceptable name of
88. Which of these carbocations is generated as an intermediate in the following reaction?
D. none of the above
89. What is the charge on the organic intermediate formed during hydrohalogenation?
90. What type of alcohol i
63. Which of the following statements is true about the solubility of alkenes?
A. all alkenes are soluble in water
B. long chain alkenes are soluble in water, but short chain alkenes are insoluble
C. long chain alkenes are insoluble in water, but short ch
4. Which of the following compounds is a natural ripening agent for fruits?
D. none of these
5. Given an alkane, an alkene, and an alkyne, each of which contains two carbon atoms, which compound will
contain most hydroge
30. A student named a particular compound 2-ethyl-3-methyl-2-butene. Assuming that the student's choice
actually corresponded to the correct distribution of the double bond and the substituents, what is the correct
IUPAC name for this compound?
93. What type of alcohol is formed by the hydration of 1-pentene?
D. none of these, the product is not an alcohol
94. What type of alcohol is formed by the hydration of 2-methyl-1-pentene?
120. Currently there is extensive recycling of which of the following polymers?
A. high-density polyethylene
C. both (a) and (b)
D. neither (a) nor (b)
121. Which of the following alkenes undergoes acid-catalyzed hydration to give 1-methylc
17. Which of the following compounds is a carboxylic acid?
18. Which of the following correctly describes the two aromatic ring substituents in the xylenes?
A. they are both hydroxyl groups
B. they are both methyl groups
C. one is a methyl and
26. What is the color of pure ethylene glycol?
27. Which of the following is a starting material in the synthesis of nitroglycerin?
A. ethylene glycol
116. Which of the following is a representation of a portion of the polystyrene chain?
117. Currently there is extensive recycling of which of the following polymers?
A. low-density polyethylene
C. poly(vinyl chloride)
D. none o
88. Two commonly used inhalation anesthetics are Ethrane and Forane. They are two of many isomeric ethers
which have the molecular formula C3H2ClF5O. In how many of these isomeric ethers are three F atoms bonded
to a single carbon atom?
40. In a phenol, which group is the substituent on the benzene ring?
41. If both a methyl group and a hydroxyl group are attached to a benzene ring, which of the following is the
preferred way to name the compo
8. There are six alcohols with the molecular formula C5H11OH. How many of these are chiral?
9. Which of the structures given below represents the enantiomer of the following compound:
C. both (a) and (b)
D. neither (a
49. Which of these responses describes the products formed by heating the following compound with
concentrated sulfuric acid?
A. the major product is 2-methyl-2-hexene and the minor product is 2-methyl-3-hexene
B. the major product is 2-methyl-3-hexene an
CHAPTER 15 - CHIRALITY: THE HANDEDNESS OF
1. Which of the following statements is true?
A. biologically important organic molecules never exhibit enantiomerism
B. very few biologically important organic molecules exhibit enantiomerism
37. Which of the following, all of which have the molecular formula C5H10, has cis and trans isomers?
D. none of them
38. Cis-trans isomers exist for which of the following molecules, all of which hav
70. Which of the following is not an intermediate in the biosynthesis of cholesterol?
D. none, they are all intermediates in the synthesis of cholesterol
71. Which of the following is the most characteristic reaction of
82. What is the IUPAC name of the following compound:
83. Which of the following molecules can exist as cis-trans isomers?
69. The half-life of I-131 is 8 days. If a medical treatment involves a dose of 100 mg of I-131, how much of
the isotope remains after 16 days?
A. 12.5 mg
B. 25 mg
C. 50 mg
D. 75 mg
70. The half-life of I-131 is 8 days. If a medical treatment involves a d
136. The indicator methyl orange is given its name for which of the following reasons?
A. it is orange in acidic solutions
B. it is orange in basic solutions
C. it is orange in neutral solutions
D. it changes color from red to yellow
137. Which of the fol
104. Which of the following is the correct relationship between the rad and the gray?
A. 1 rad = 100 Gy
B. 1 rad = 1000 Gy
C. 1 rad = 0.01 Gy
D. 1 rad = 0.001 Gy
105. For a specific delivered dose of soft x-rays, which type of type of material has the lar
66. When NH3 is dissolved in water which of the following is true of the equilibrium which is established?
A. it lies virtually completely to the left
B. it lies slightly to the left
C. it lies virtually completely to the right
D. it lies slightly to the
24. The chemical formula of hydrogen cyanide is HCN. How many valence electrons are associated with a
molecule of hydrogen cyanide?
25. The chemical formula of hydrogen cyanide is HCN. How many unshared electrons are associated with
Created by Dr Elena D. Korir
LECTURE 1. AMINO ACIDS AND PROTEINS
Amino acids constitute the proteins. Most proteins contain 20 L-amino amino acids.
Essential Amino Acids:
The human diet must contain adequate quantities of ten essential amino acids, since
Created by Dr Elena D. Korir
LECTURE 2 Protein Structure
Proteins are naturally occurring polypeptides of molecular weight greater than 5.000
1 Enzymatic catalysis (Hexokinase, LDH)
capable of enhancing rates of reactions by factors
LECTURE 4. PROTEIN SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION
Purified proteins are required for a wide variety of applications in research, medicine, and
biotechnology. Since the globular proteins in particular are very unstable, purification is carried
out at low te
LECTURE 3. MOLECULAR CHAPERONES
Molecular chaperones are defined as class of unrelated families of proteins that assist the
correct non-covalent assembly of other polypeptide-containing structures in vivo, but which
are not components of these assembled
A HURRICANE WATCH remains in effect for Jamaica as the powerful Category 4
Hurricane Matthew moves westward over the central Caribbean and is forecast to start
approaching Jamaica and Haiti tomorrow.
The following dangerous effects of a hurricane are, the