Due January 31, 2015
PROBLEM SET #4 SOLUTIONS
1. Polymer Structure. (2nd Hour Exam, 2006W)
On the attached page are shown models of eight different polymers. In these figures the identities of
the different atoms are given by their color:
Due 6:00 PM Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015
SOLUTIONS FOR PROBLEM SET #6
1. Tensile Test (after Schaffer, Saxena, et al. Problem 9.15.)
The stress-strain (true stresstrue strain) relationship during plastic deformation of copper may be
described by the eq
Problem Set #3 Solutions
1. Hexagonal Close-Packed Structure.
a. Draw an octahedron and a tetrahedron in HCP structure.
1b. How many of each type of polyhedron are their per atom?
The space between the close-
Problem Set #1 Solutions
1. Concentration by atomic percent of Ti-6Al-4V.
Consider 100 grams of the alloy. Look up the atomic weights:
(Assume the precision of composition is about 6.0 Al, 4.0 V.)
90 gms Ti:
= 1.88 moles
47.90gms / mol
Due February 13, 2015
SOLUTIONS FOR PROBLEM SET #5
1. Heat Treatment of Steels Schaffer, Saxena, et al. 2nd Ed., Chap. 8, Probs. 40, 41, 43, and 45.
a. From the isothermal transformation diagrams for 4140 and 4340 determine whether the two alloys
Problem Set #2 Solutions
1. Planes and Directions in Crystals
1a. Planes in an orthorhombic unit cell.
1b. Draw a projection of the (111) plane for the FCC structure and show all the <110> and
<112> directions that lie in that plane.