Chapter 9 Effects of code usage in intercultural comm
Organization structure of messages
Speaker-responsible language v. Listener-responsible language
Persuasive Style Use of symbols to influence others
Ethno-logics- what is considered logical and rati
Cultural Event Analysis
During the Summer session, you will participate in a cultural event of your own choosing. You will participate
in the event and record and analyze your experiences. At minimum, you will use relevant course concepts and
1. How does national history play a role in shaping national identity? Support your
answer with examples from the readings or/and video clips.
While reading through chapter 5, I began to further try and define national identity.
National identity is ones
1. Search online a proverb from a different culture of yours that talks about one of
the characteristics of human communication.
2. Explain what it means, and to what communication characteristics it is related to.
3. Give an example from yo
a. How does your view of death compare with the beliefs found in the six great
religions traditions? In you opinion, how does a person's perception of death might
influence his/her behavior?
b. Identify the common principles and practices you see among al
Different cultures tend to interest others, for both good and ill. The European
culture, which dates back to the BC era, interests me due to its long and filled with
knowledge history. In understanding a cul
1. Recall as much as you can about your personal family history.
Record/write/videotape your answers to the following questions as they apply to
the conscious and unconscious learning that took place. It might be intresting to
compare your answers to thos
1. Go to YouTube and search for "culture and folktales" or for folktales of your
specific culture of interest. Choose one folktale and attach the Youtube link to your
2. Summarize briefly the story of the folktale.
3. What is the cultural value/ b
1. Find an article/ blog post/ picture/ chart/ statistics/ etc. about a global issue that
triggered intercultural communication between different cultures and explain about
2. Explain why intecultural communication was/ is/ will be an integral
Country Report: South Africa
South Africa is the southernmost country in the continent of Africa, spanning over
1,219,090 sq km. The size of South Africa makes it a little less than twice as big as the state of
Texas. Its bordering countries are
Intercultural Study Guide
Text Chapter 4
Cultural patterns basic set of standards that guide thought and action, they are like software or
mental programming, shared mental programs that govern specific behavior choices, some
mental programs are un
Exam 1 Guide Communication and Culture Spring 2016
Exam 1 will take place in class on March 1 , 2016. Please bring your student id and a #2
pencil. Be on time and in your seat; no students will be admitted late. Make-up exams
are not given, so be in your