Chapter 09 - Financial Statement Analysis
General Comments for Chapter 9
Financial Statement Analysis
The basic financial statement analytical procedures are horizontal analysis, vertical analysis, and ratio analysis.
Horizontal Analysis - The percentage
Chapter 12 - Cost Accumulation, Tracing, and Allocation
General Comments for Chapter 12
Cost Accumulation, Tracing, and Allocation
May 2, 2017
1. Today we will finish our Final Exam Review on Chapters 1-8.
2. The Final Exam is Monday, May 8, at 3:30 PM in our classroom. The exam will have 50
multiple choice questions, 35 on chapters 10-13 and 15 on chapters 1-8. You will have one
March 23, 2017
1. Please turn in your Annual Report Project at the front of the classroom.
2. Today we will have the midterm in-class review.
3. You dont have to sit in your assigned test seat today but please check the seating chart
prior to Tuesdays tes
April 25, 2017
1. Today is the Chapter 13 lecture and well complete the Chapter 12/13 Activity at the end of
2. CengageNOW Chapter 12 homework due tonight by 10:00 PM.
3. CengageNOW Chapter 13 homework due this Thursday, April 27, by 10:00 PM.
January 17, 2017
1. This class is NOT for pre-business majors. It will not qualify for admission to Eller. This
course is for business minor students and other non-Eller majors.
2. If you do not have access to D2L, please email me at [email protected]
April 27, 2017
1. Today is the Final Exam Review of New Material, Chapters 10-13.
2. Tuesday, May 2, we will review problems from Chapters 1-8. (Chapter 9 will not be tested
on the final).
3. CengageNOW Chapter 13 homework due tonight by 10:00 PM.
First Day Announcements January 12, 2017
Welcome to ACCOUNTING 250!
This class is NOT for pre-business majors. It will not qualify for admission to Eller. This
course targets business minor students and other non-Eller majors.
Each class begins with ann
April 11, 2017
1. Today we start Chapter 11 and take the Chapter 11 Clicker Quiz. We will finish Chapter 11
on Thursday and complete the Chapter 11 Activity at the end of class.
2. CengageNOW Chapter 11 homework due Tuesday, April 18 by 10:00 PM.
March 9, 2017
Thursday, March 9
1. Continue Chapter 8 Lecture
2. Complete Chapter 8 Clicker Quiz
3. CengageNOW Chapter 7 homework due by 10:00 PM
1. The Annual Report Project is due after Spring Break, Thursday, March 23
2. 2nd Midterm is Tuesday, M
Exam 1: 9/24/2015
Types of Businesses
1. Service business - Providing a service to a customer
2. Manufacturing business - Making a product from scratch
3. Merchandising business - Selling products from other businesses to customer
Chapter 7 Accounting for Notes Payable: We use the term "issuing a note payable" when we are borrowing money Issue a note payable we have an increase in liabilities! We are borrowing the money and paying it back at a later date When a business borrows mon
Chapter 14 - Planning for Profit and Cost Control
General Comments for Chapter 14
There are 3 levels of planning for business activity: 1. Strategic budgeting 2. Capital budgeting 3. Operations budgeting (most detailed)
Planning for Profit and Cost Contro
Chapter 03 - Accounting for Merchandising Businesses
Chapter 3 - Accounting for Merchandising Businesses
What makes a merchandise business different from a service business?
-A merchandising company purchases goods ready for resell and then sell them.
How to determine the cost of an operational asset
Any cost to get the long term operation asset ready for us should be included
Purchase price, sales tax, installation costs, and customization
Do not include any annual costs such as insurance, annual lice
Chapter 10 review Product cost: any cost associated with making the product Direct and indirect costs (supervisor related to production) Period cost: selling and administrative and non-production costs Interest, insurance for office equipment Cost per uni
Chapter 11 - Cost Behavior, Operating Leverage, and Profitability Analysis
Chapter 11 Cost Behavior, Operating Leverage, and Profitability Analysis
Key terms to learn by end of lecture: Total cost Fixed Cost Variable cost Cost per unit Fixed Cost per unit
Chapter 04 - Internal Controls, Accounting for Cash, and Ethics
Chapter 4 - Internal Controls, Accounting for Cash, and Ethics
Key Features of an Internal control System
Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) requires public companies to evaluate their internal
Chapter 05 - Accounting for Receivables and Inventory Cost Flow
Chapter 5 - Accounting for Receivables and Inventory Cost Flow We will focus on 3 key topics in this chapter 1. How business deal with customers that do not pay - "uncollectible accounts" 2.
Chapter 08 - Proprietorships, Partnerships, and Corporations
General Comments for Chapter 8
Proprietorships, Partnerships, and Corporations
Businesses can be organized in different ways:
Advantages and disadv
Chapter 06 - Accounting for Long-Term Operational Assets
Chapter 6 - Accounting for Long-Term Operational Assets
Long term assets can be tangible or intangible
Tangible assets Examples:
Intangible Assets Examples:
Cost of a Long Term Asset
Using the Cost
Chapter 07 - Accounting for Liabilities
Chapter 7 - Accounting for Liabilities
Accounting for Notes Payable
We use the term ISSUING A NOTE PAYABLE. This means we are borrowing money
and setting up a liability to pay back later and the company is getting c
Chapter 10 - An Introduction to Managerial Accounting
Chapter 10 - An Introduction to Managerial Accounting
We switch at this point in the text the managerial topics.
Financial Accounting - has a focus on external users and getting them information
Chapter 13 - Relevant Information for Special Decisions
General Comments for Chapter 13 Relevant Information for Special Decisions Davis Driveways, Inc. (DDI) pours concrete driveways for single family homes. DDI uses a cost-plus pricing approach. The com