Science must continually fight to prevent itself from being used for nonscientific ends
Such ends are usually religious and/or political.
- Galileo, Inquisition, 1633: Guilty!
- Ignored an order to desist from teac
Electronic Publication and the Narrowing of Science and Scholarship
Millions of scholarly articles have migrated online in recent years.
- Sociologist, University of Chicago
- Meta-analysis of citation behavior
HA = onli
The Dawn of Darwinian Medicine
Medicine has not emphasized evolutionary biology.
- Seven cervical vertebrate.
- Explanation from physics and chemistry?
- Yes. Arise from development events.
- No. Why is zygotic DNA so programmed? Why is f
Social Influence on Science
Most people believe that their opinions are based on their own deliberations. However
- Opinions of others are influential if you believe they are better informed.
- You may conform to a majority opinion to avo
A Science of the Individual
Childs et al. (2005)
Uniqueness of individual accounts for variation in health and disease
Prior to modern medicine, 2 views:
- Physiological (19th Century)
o Disease take