Name 5 red dyes that were used in the old world to produce a red color for paintings or
fabric before American cochineal was discovered in Mexico.
Cochineal (lives on prickly pear) was the best natural red dye. The scale insects
What is the difference between a grasshopper and a locust?
Locusts are grasshoppers that have a tendency to gather in large groups and fly
considerable distances to find food.
What region(s) of the world are subject to locust infestations?
Mainly Africa b
Insects as Inspiration for Music, Part 2
Additional questions for Part 1
How do insect flight sounds change with body size?
Smaller body size = higher pitch flight sound
Give 2 examples of compositions (and their composers) that are a positive appreciatio
How did a huge increase in the amount of land available for farming in the 1800s contribute to an
increase in the number and severity of insect problems in agricultural systems? What are the steps?
Change from subsistence farms to large businesses
Insects as Art Media
1. Give an example of a work of art (include the artist) that used traces of an
insects presence but the insect itself (or its parts) are not part of the work.
Dancing Beetle by Steven Kutcher
2. Name two types of insect secretions th
1. What are the symptoms for a Phylloxera infestation on European vines? How does Phylloxera kill
Symptoms: Yellowed and withered, leaves dried up and dropped off, rotten
roots, wingless yellow insects (looked like aphids or cochineal) cov
Insects in Art
TO SEE THE ILLUSTRATIONS, YOU MAY NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENT
The use of insects in art has changed over human history. What are 5 trends that have appeared over
Primitive (based on actual animal)
symbols of religious works
1. In the fight against the gypsy moth in Massachusetts, what three methods used to kill them?
Removing egg masses
Heavy weight sprayers
2. While the program to exterminate the gypsy moth was underway in Massachusett
What is the native home of the red imported fire ant?
The fire ant spread more rapidly than would be predicted by flights by new queens alone? By what
means do they spread greater distances? Include 3 specific examples of a means of transpor
1. So called Big Bug movies were quite popular for about 2 decades following World
War II. What important factors shaped the Americans psychological state at the time
that made these movies so appealing?
1. Horror at seeing the destructive power of the at
Insects as Inspiration for Music, Part 1
1. What are three ways insects make sounds?
Stridulation - cricket
Tymbal - cicada
Flight sounds - wing vibration has distinct
frequency - smaller insect = higher pitch
2. Match the musical work or attribute of the
Insects at the Movies, Part 1
What did each of the following filmmakers contribute to the development of the movie making industry:
George Melie, Segundo de Chomon, Ladyslaw Starewicz, and Winsor McCay?
- George Melie: father of special effects. "Trip to
Insects as Food 2
What are two strong arguments for using insects as human and animal food?
Good source of protein and fats, and environmentally better. It reduces greenhouse gases, its
more efficient, and saves water on reduced water consumption.
Insects in Myths and Religion
1. What 2 parts of scarab beetle biology led the ancient Egyptians to believe that they arose from
nothing and that they pushed the sun across the sky?
They were considered sacred and symbolized rebirth. The beetles make dung
1. Emily Dickinsons used insects in her poetry in multiple ways? Give two.
2. Virginia Woolf used silk moth cocoons as metaphor in the lives of two women? What issues were
they facing and how does the cocoon metaphor work for both of them.
3. William Blak
Insects as Food 1
What are 3 animals that enjoy eating insects?
Insectivores: ant eaters, bats, monkeys, bears, and birds
What is it about and late larvae/early pupae of HOLOmetabolous insects that makes them such great,
nutritious food? Fly ant queens?
1. What is forensic science? What are the major functions of a forensic scientist?
It is the use of scientific knowledge in technology in civil and criminal
matters. It resolves cases.
Major functions: analysis of physical evidence, pr
What is GMO short for? Define a GMO
Genetically Modified Organism
An organism that has DNA inserted into it from another organism
What are the 2 most common modifications that have been made to crop plants?
Agrobacteria natural ability to trans
Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo - refer to English Script to jog your memory.
1. Who were the Kokugakushu and what was their intellectual goal?
Japanese artist and poets participated in a movement created by a group
of 18th century scholars called Kokugakushu
1. Name 2 insects commonly seen in insect zoos. What characteristics make
them a good choice for keeping in a zoo and engaging visitors?
Ants & butterflies. Insects are valuable teaching tools; reveal fundamental
ecological principles; cheap t
Boll Weevil questions
1. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, where were the biggest markets for the Souths cotton crop?
British and northern mills
South produced 75% of worlds cotton
2. What novel concept did Seaman Knapp introduce in Texas that changed fa