Pop rock sensation->good champagne
To be called Champagne in Europe, it must come rom an area 90 miles NE of Paris
According to the 1958 Treaty of Lisbon
Not fully ripe grapes increases acidity of champagne
Sparkling wines from other countries
1) Names of Major Wines
2) Fundamentals of testings and evaluations
What is terroir?
Sense of place (French), region
Soil, rainfall sunshine
Three types of grapes?
1) Vitis Vinifera European Grapes (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon)
2) Vitis Labrusca
All fortified wines have had either alcohol or brandy to strengthen it.
Comes from Spain.
All Sherry is non vintage.
True sherry is fortified with brandy made from 2nd crushing.
Dry by nature, fortified after fermentation
Color of the wine
Depth of color
Viscosity, fluidity, tears or legs
Decanting wine is only for unfiltered wine
Finger in hole of wine bottle.
With a light source.
Opening a wine bottle with a shoe
1) What are the three types of grapes?
1) Vitis Vinifera- European Grapes (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon)
2) Vitis Labrusca-North East USA (Delaware, COncord, Niagara) Hearty & Sweeter
3) French American Hybrids-Roots of Vitis Labrusca+Vines of Vitis Vi
The 11th largest wine producing region in the world.
Best wines are labeled varietal/proprietary wine
Cabernet Sauvignon Marques de Casa Concha
Principle growing region, central valley has a similar latitude to Bordeaux and
American Viticultural Area
Californias AVA accounts for 12% of wine produced.
Balk of California wines (54%) come from San Joaquin Valley
California has more than 2400 wineries.
This is confus
Welcome to the world of Beer!
From the gentile hiss of carbon dioxide bubbles to the smooth feel of a well -crafted
ale sliding down your throat, beer stimulates all of the senses. But for our purposes
in describing beer styles, we will focu
This is a class of spontaneously fermented beers made in
Belgium and typically aged 2 to 3 years. The grain base for
lambic is barley malt plus about 30 - 40 % un-malted wheat,
with aged hops , instead of fresh hops for preservation without
April 24, 2013
Pacific Island and Fusion Cuisine was definitely my favorite class by far this semester.
What I loved most about the class was that it was very interactive as well as being educational.
In the past I had tak
1. There is a formal welcome from chiefs and elders, a kava or toddy ceremony, toasts, speeches, dances, music, and a lavish, colorful display of food to impress the eye, smiles and gestures of welcome, and an atmosphere of excited expectation. 2. luau; H
1. This statement means that there are many different things that are said through food and
the way people eat in the Pacific Islands. Many times they communicate the social
relations between people (more specifically men and women at times).
1. True 2. Umu 3. Toxicity 4. Westerners 5. Tool, Symbol 6. 7. 8. Heat and Humidity 9. Fish(seafood), meats, sweet potatoes 10. It was said that they would leave the kangaroos nostrils exposed above the ground to serve as a "gauge of doneness." When the s
2. Kai is staple starchy foods such as taro, yam, or breadfruit. Oppositely, Kina is a food
eaten with another like relish. Katana dina is the equivalent Fijian term for real food
and, like elsewhere in the Pacific region, refers to root crops l
1. Blackbirding was the kidnapping of people in the Pacific in the late 1800s. It served the purpose of searching for human cargo to work as laborers. 2. Cannibalism was a ritual practice. 3. Indentured labor work 4. Captain James Cook 5. The patter of mi
A series of federal laws that are
implemented to protect people in the
Equal treatment in employment for
1961- President John F. Kennedy signs
an executive order
Federal contractors should take affirmative
action to ensure that appli
The Cheesecake Factory: Cooking Up Success
HPM 314 Hospitality Customer Relations and Training M001
Spring Semester 2011
Dr. Linchi Kwok
April 19th 2011
The Cheesecake Factory is the number one upscale, casual dining restaurant in the United
Lab Preparedness 1
1. List and explain three technological advances affecting food preparation.
Equipment can be combination of two or more, such as a combi-oven, which will allow for more room in the
kitchen, so more prep space. More and more tools are
February 10th 2011
Study: Kids weight increases when mom works more
In this article it talks about how if a mother works, their children are more likely to have
weight increase. The weight gain was cumulative and the link becam
- What training and development program(s) does the company have? In your
opinions, how effective are these programs?
College of Hospitality Management in Boca Raton, Florida. The Cheesecake Factory is in
the league of Houstons Restaurants
Labor Unions: represents collective groups of workers in an organization by negotiating
employee relations for the group
The LABOR UNION negotiates employee relations activities such as:
- Work rules
- Job description
- Compensation structures
Chapter 6 Notes
March 1st 2011
Next exam Tuesday (study!) Chapters 5,6 and 7, work sheet!
- Importance of training
- Training responsibility
- Training costs
- The training cycle
- Need assessment methods (12)
- Training objectives
- Training methods
Fast Food Nation
Final Reaction Paper
The Reality Of Fast Food Meat
Eric Schlosser is the author who has written about the fast food industry and
he presents many of his findings in the book 'Fast Food Nation'. However, his book is
not only an exp
Service Learning Paper
Community service is a rewarding accomplishment. One person can make a difference in
a persons life everyday. When I volunteered for the Interreligious Food Consortium, I felt very
rewarded in the end and I know
Ecology of Commerce
Restoring the Guardian
- Has to do with the environment, nature, business and green taxes
- Rethinking the fundamental purposes of business
- Today business is being asked by environmentalists to internalize costs that were
- The public is arguing about free trade and the global economy, and reacting
emotionally against what is happening to the GMOs (genetically modified foods)
- They believe that this should be left to the experts and I do agree because this is r
Animal Liberation and Vegetarianism
In this chapter the author talks about what we should and should not do about speciesism.
He says the one that that is most important is that we take responsibility for our own lives
and make them as free of cruelty as
September 22nd 2010
Looks Like a Condo, Acts Like a Hotel
1. Would you want to stay overnight in a condo or a hotel?
2. Do you feel that there are many differences between the two?
There are condos out there now
Perfect Vacation at the Boca Raton Resort
HPM 321 Hotel and Resort Operations M001
Fall Semester 2010
Dr. Linchi Kwok
December 1st 2010
There are more types of hotels in the world than people even realize. One very popular,
well known type of hotel is a r