Introduction to Metallurgy
Ch. 12 HW (Neely, 6th)
Ch. 12 HW (Neely, 6
Please use capital letters when answering multiple-choice
questions. For T/F questions, please circle the appropriate
1. T/F Any alloy that contains any iron
MEC180 Homework #3 Iron-Carbon Diagram
Name: Devante Flowe
Note: answer all questions, fill the table and drawings in this PowerPoint file. Save the file as HW_03_your last name_your first name. Submit the
file through class blackboard.
What are the fi
a) r1,2,3,and 4 and the voltage source E, are in parallel to each other.
b) r1,2,3 and source e are connected in parallel.
c)none are in parallel
d) r2,3 are in paralle r4,5 are in parallel
A).r3 and r4
b) e and r1,r6and r7
MEC180 Engineering Materials - Lab_08
Heat Treatment on Steels
The heat treatment of metals is a way to improve its mechanical properties strength and ductility. In this lab we tested
the effects of heat treating. Our group studied the effec
MEC180 Lab_07 Heat Treatment of Steels
Devante Flowe, Group 1
Expected values [Values stated in reference documentation]
Material and Condition
1018, control (red, white)
T 1000 F
T - 600 F
state scale for
i.e. HBN #
MEC180 Lab_05_ID_Composition Ferrous Metals
For the following steels, state the major alloying element(s), percentage of carbon, classification by carbon content, percentage of the
alloying elements listed here, ultimate strength (ksi), and hardness (use
MEC180 Lab_03 Tensile Test
Devante Flowe, Group # 1
Each group of students is required to perform one tensile test on one piece of standard
specimen to determine static mechanical properties of the materials. Students will perform
the test in g
MEC180 HW_02 Tensile Test
3. Microstructure is defined as the structure of a prepared surface or thin foil of material
as revealed by microscope. The microstructure of a material can strongly be influence
physical properties such as strength
2. Thermoplastic polymers can be heated to produce either a soft, formable solid or a liquid. The
material can then be cast, injected into a mold, or forced into or through dies to produce a desired
shape. Thermosetting polymers have far fewer options bec
1. Powder metallurgy should be considered for any part where geometry and production quantity
5. Iron and steel dominates the powder metallurgy market.
6. Powder manufacture, mixing or blending, compacting and sintering.
12. Unique proper
3. A reusable mold is machined from gray cast iron, alloy cast iron, steel, bronze, or graphite. Alloys
of aluminum, magnesium, lead, and copper and gray cast iron.
4. Near net shapes can be produced. Good surface finish and dimensional accuracy. Metal mo
2. When selecting a surface-modification process for a part one should consider the geometry, original
material, physical properties such as melting point and thermal expansion, and several metallurgical
14. Alkaline cleaning involves the remo
3. Iron, steel, stainless steel, aluminum alloys, brass, bronze & other copper alloys, magnesium alloys,
certain zinc alloys, certain zinc alloys, and nickle-based superalloys.
5. Sand casting is the most common and versatile type of casting.
6. Casting p