Mallor - Chapter 52 #35
The toxic waste dump cleanups required by CERCLA:
A. are funded entirely by a tax on chemicals and feedstocks.
B. are funded by the state in question.
C. are funded entirely by the responsible party o
Which of the following is least likely to make the employer liable for unjust dismissal or
wrongful discharge under the public policy exception to the employment at will doctrine?
A. Firing an employee because his religious convictions caus
The XYZ Corporation is building a new factory. What kind of air pollution control technology
must XYZ install in its factory?
A. The best available state-of-the-art technology.
B. Technology that conforms to existing industry standards.
The EPA prohibits states from making specific companies' reports under the Clean Air Act
available to the public on their websites.
Mallor - Chapter 52 #5
The regulation of automobile p
25. Which of the following instances is more important to prove for the plaintiff in dispute treatment
cases under Title VII?
A. The employer does not pay him/her well.
B. The workload is very high.
C. The employer does not approve leaves whenever require
31. John owned a parcel of land on which he wanted to build an apartment building. However, John's
land is currently a swamp; he wants to drain it. John has applied for a permit to the Army Corps of
Engineers for permission to drain the swamp. There is ot
8. The businesses and regulatory agencies remain accountable to the public with the help of online
permitting and reporting system.
9. Under the Clean Water Act, the states have the main responsibility for regulating water pollution.
In general, which of the following statements is correct with respect to unemployment
A. An employee who is unable to work because of a disability is entitled to unemployment
B. An individual who has been discharged from e
Which of the following is generally true regarding sexual harassment suits under Title VII?
A. Only women can sue for sexual harassment; men cannot sue for sexual harassment by
B. In all sexual harassment cases, the employee must sho
Bigcorp, Inc., a huge conglomerate with interests in various industries, is acquiring Odorific
Co., the nation's leading manufacturer of men's socks. None of Bigcorp's current "family" of
companies purchases socks, nor do any of Bigcorp's s
40. The Sexist Employment Agency has 35 employees. True to its name, Sexist pays all its female
employees less than all its male employees. It also refuses to refer female customers to any
"Fortune 500" corporations (all of which are big). Of the two kind
Mallor - Chapter 51 #16
In which of the following situations will all States make an award of workers compensation to
the injured worker?
A. A secretary is assaulted by a trespasser in an accounting firm.
B. A security guard employed by a so
35. Odyssey Corp., a wholesaler of children's toys, sells retailers across the country the exceedingly
popular Trojan Horse toy at a price of $14 per item. Odyssey has learned that one of its
competitors, Iliad Co., is selling the Trojan Horse toy at a pr
Reliable Corp. owns the nationwide chain of Reliable Auto Repair shops. Although Reliable
has the single largest share in the nationwide auto repair market, the intensely competitive
nature of this market means that Reliable's share is only
Rockchalk Paving Co., a Kansas firm, paves public streets and highways in Kansas and the
surrounding states of Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Missouri. Wildcat Pavers, Inc., a
paving contractor that competes with Rockchalk in Kansas, Okl
1. Worker's compensation act protects not only employees, but independent contractors also.
2. A basic feature of workers' compensation is that employees recover only for work-related
3. Although the O
"Chicago School" antitrust critics:
A. tend to view economic efficiency as an antitrust enforcement goal that has traditionally
B. are less concerned than traditional antitrust thinkers are about the negative effects th
Section 8 of the Clayton Act, as modified by the Antitrust Amendments Act of 1990, prohibits
the same individuals from controlling competing corporations when those individuals are:
A. directors only.
B. directors or senior officers only.
If Acme Corp. and Bogus, Inc. both manufacture product X but no other products, the relevant
product market for purposes of an antitrust challenge to a merger between Acme and Bogus
will be a crucial consideration.
21. Technoco, Inc., a manufacturer of computers and related equipment, has been requiring
wholesalers and retailers who purchase computers from it to also purchase printers as a
condition of buying computers. One of Technoco's customers has challenged the
Chapter 49 Summary
# of Questions
Mallor - Chapter 49
1. The Justice Department and the Federal Trade Com
The Federal Trade Commission recently instituted an adjudicative proceeding against OK
Corp., a manufacturer of inflatable dolls. OK is alleged to have made deceptive statements
concerning the quality of its product in nationwide advertisem
Bony Corp. requires retailers and wholesalers that purchase Bony's $200 video cassette
recorders to purchase $20-worth of blank Bony videotapes with each VCR. Under these
circumstances, which of the following statements is inaccurate?
Beginning in 1998 and continuing until Aug. 1, 2003, Aromatic Co. promoted the sale of its
Essence of Terre Haute (ETH) brand perfume by encouraging ETH buyers to save the proof of
purchase seals on ETH labels. Consumers with at least 25 pr
40. In 1978, Frieda Stayel opened a donut shop in the town of Fort Garth, Indiana. Her shop, called
"Stayel Donuts," was the first of its kind in the community. Over the years, Stayel Donuts acquired
a wide following, not only in Fort Garth but also throu
34. Acme Corp. has captured 90% of the national market for commodity "X." Acme is most likely to
be liable for monopolization under section 2 of the Sherman Act, if "X" is:
A. felt-tip pens.
C. men's underwear.
D. yellow legal pads.
1. The passage of the antitrust laws reflected a congressional assumption that competition was
most likely to exist in an oligopolistic industrial structure.
2. If certain allegedly anticompetitive action had an impact on
23. Ojay Corp., A-C, Inc., and Kato Co. are competitors in the production and sale of knives. A year
ago, the three firms agreed to share pricing information with each other on a periodic basis. As a
result of this agreed sharing of information, the three
Which of the following is an Independent administrative agency created by Congress?
A. Executive agency
B. Investigating agency
C. Adjudicative agency
D. The Interstate Commerce Commission.