Chapter 14 Discussion Questions 1-5
1. Discuss how you decide to schedule your school assignments. Do your
informal scheduling rules correspond to any of the rules described in this
-While I have done the exact same process as the example given i
OMT 110 Intro to Operations Mgmt 0901SP
Test # 4 (Chapters 15, 16, 17, and 18)
5/7/15 9:15 AM
Submitted 5/7/15 9:35 AM
Due Date 5/10/15 11:59 PM
Attempt Score 68 out of 100 points
4 out of 4 points
Prior to designing and configuring a customer benefit package, a firm should understand and
develop its _.
strategic mission and competitive priorities.
strategic mission and competitive
2. Each day, FedEx processes approximately 85,000 shipments. Suppose that FedEx identified the
following numbers of errors during a five-day week (see the FedEx: Measuring Service Performance
box): These values are hypothetical and do not reflect FedEx ac
Chapter 4 Discussion Questions 1-4
Select a business with which you are familiar and identify examples of customers using search,
experience, and credence quality to evaluate the good or service. You might also look up the
Case Discussion Questions
1. Define and draw the customer benefit package and state TAS's mission, strategy, and rank order of
TASs mission is to differentiate its 32 stores from competition by focusing on peripheral goods and
6. Marine International manufactures an aquarium pump and is trying to decide whether to produce the
filter system in-house or sign an outsourcing contract with Bayfront Manufacturing to make the filter
system. Marine's expertise is producing the pumps it
Explain how operations management activities affect customer experiences described in the
Museum of Science and Industry anecdote at the beginning of this chapter. What moments of
truth would a customer encounter?
OM activities affect customer experien
Describe at least one application of modern technology in each of these service industries:
Financial Services-QuickBooks software: This software allows business owners to
maintain and control their payroll, along with a multitude of other particulars
8. What is the implied service rate at a bank teller window if customer demand is 34 customers per hour,
two bank tellers are on duty, and their labor utilization is 85 percent?
(Service rate)(Number of Servers)
3. Visit a manufacturer or service organization and critique its facility design. What are the advantages
and disadvantages? How does the layout affect process flows, customer service, efficiency, and cost?
At McDonald Lumber the facility layout of their
1. Lawn cares mission is to provide the highest quality physical products in the industry with the
strategy of providing the right product to the right customer at the right time. Their current
priorities are quality and time which give the customer the b
Quality Management: Discussion Questions
1. Select two of Deming's 14 Points and discuss the importance of them to operations managers (as well
as all managers) in today's business environment.
-Two of Demings 14 Points are to create a Vision and Demonstr
1. Identify a goods-producing or service-providing organization and discuss how it might make aggregate
planning decisions using the variables described in Exhibit 13.3.
UPS, this shipping company would definitely use the strategies in pricing, promotions
1. Discuss some of the issues that a small pizza restaurant might face in inventory management. Would
a pizza restaurant use a fixed-order-quantity or period system for fresh dough (purchased from a bakery
on contract)? What would be the advantages and di
1. What are the service management techniques of the CSR job?
The service management techniques of the CSR job are to always place the problem of the customer
first, no matter what. Secondly, if the employee that they are dealing with has a separate issue
1. Discuss your forecasting issues that you encounter in your daily life. How do you make your
Each day I try to forecast traffic, how long it will take for work to be done, and usually what time I will go
to sleep at night as well as wake up t
6. Hickory Manufacturing Company forecasts the following demand for a product (in thousands of units)
over the next five years:
Currently the manufacturer has seven machines that operate on a two-shift (eight
1. Describe the three types of value chain frameworks, and state which one you like the best. Why?
The inputs-outputs model begins with suppliers who provide inputs to a goods-producing or serviceproviding process or network of processes
OMT 110 Intro to Operations Mgmt 0901SP
Test # 3
4/12/15 9:58 PM
4/12/15 10:50 PM
4/12/15 11:59 PM
Attempt Score 92 out of 100 points
Time Elapsed 51 minutes out of 2 hours