Lab 6 What Makes Hard Water Hard?
A client is looking to move into your community. While there are multiple factors that will help
him decide where to purchase a house, he is going to find a location where a water softener will
not be needed. Several
Anything that has mass and takes up
Mass is the amount of material in an
Matter can be solid, liquid, or gas
Solids have a definite shape and volume
Liquids have a definite volume, but take
Atoms and Molecules
Carbon monoxide gas is contained of a carbon atom and
oxygen atom held together by a chemical bond
Atoms ~ are the submicroscopic particles that constitute
the fundamental building blocks of ordinary matter
Unit 4 Thermochemistry
This unit introduces the concept of energy in chemical reactions. The topic is called
Thermochemistry because energy often enters or leaves a system as heat. Since the
science of chemistry is very concerned with how mat
m i nu t e
Elements and the Periodic Table
Students read about the history and organization of the Periodic Table of the Elements and are introduced to the difference between elements and compoun
Periodic Table Activity sheet Answer key
Use your periodic table to answer each question
1. How are the atomic numbers and the atomic masses of the elements related to how the
elements are arranged on the Periodic Table?
The elements are arranged in
1. Purpose: To detect the unknown concentration of KMnO4.
2. Theory: It is a technique used to find the unknown concentration of substance, which has the
tendency to interact with electromagnetic radiation (light).
Sample is bombarded with a monochromatic
1. Purpose or objective: to see how accurate and precise our measurements are, as
well as to learn about the rules of significant figures, and to learn to calculate the
mean, deviation, standard deviation, range and median.
2. Theory: repeating the experi
1. Purpose or objective: to detect the percentage of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) by titrating the
bleach against a standard reducing agent sodium thiosulfate (Na2S2O3). As well as to detect the
weight percent of H2O2 in the commercial hydrogen peroxide so
1. Purpose or objective: to determine the unknown mass of a sample of ammonia oxalate monohydride by dissolving this mass and titrating it with a standardized solution of potassium
2. Theory: to be able to determine the end point (by detecti