EDITING EXERCISE: SENTENCE STRUCTURE ISSUES
Directions: Find and correct the errors in sentence structure (fragments, comma splices, and run -on
sentences), word order, and clause structure (adjective, adverb, and noun clauses). (20 errors)
EDITING EXERCISE: VERB ISSUES
DIRECTIONS: Find and correct the errors in verb tense and verb forms. (20 errors)
(1) Today, America probably had more racial groups than any other country. (2) From the
earliest time of American history, there
Editing Exercise: NOUNS, ARTICLES AND WORD FORMS
DIRECTIONS: Find and correct the errors in nouns, articles, and other word forms. Each
sentence has only one mistake. (18 mistakes total)
(1) The population of the United States includes a wid
1. The U.S. often has been criticized as a throw-away country because, every year,
American wastes and throw out so many resources that can be recycled or used once again. A
couple of weeks ago, when my neighborhood moved out,
Univ of MD Baltimore County
Univ of MD College Park
1. The U.S. education authority gives opportunity to attend schools to all classes, and all
citizens finance with tax money for schools.
2. Because available education to everyone could reduce social-class distinctions in th
EL 104 Homework Argumentation and Supporting a Position
Directions: Provide a thesis statement, supporting arguments and a conclusion for each side of
SHOULD COLLEGE EDUCATION BE FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS?
Thesis: College education
Young Woo Song
Outline of Essay in Favor of College for All
Supporting argument 1: Career or vocational track which is held on many U.S. high school
couldnt guarantee the students to learn high-skill or get well-paying
2. The role of eldest sons has changed as well in that no longer lived all his life in the family
home with his parents and carried on the family line.
3. A go-between and a computer dating service are simi
1. a. is
2. a. an individual
3. a. finding ones true love
EL104 (Assign. #4)
Just in my personal opinion, marriage is necessary to earn stable life for people who are
exhausted by tiring work. Also, marriage should be decided by
Young Woo Song
1. reasons (n.)
2. reason (n.)
3. factors (n.)
4. lead to (v.)
5. result in (v.)
6. effects (n.)
7. cause (v.)
8. results (n.)
2. Because technology can help fight disease and improve the use of
Pg.384 Understand Main Ideas
1. Equal opportunity, high standard of living, and materialism were strengthened by the
abundant natural resources of the United States.
2. The invention of the radio in the 1920s and spread of the
Set 2 : Speaker B
1. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Spending money carelessly makes people easily become beggar.
2. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Requirement of nation often be the force power of developing new p
1. In the U.S, according to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, there are
700,000 people experiencing homelessness in 2001. In 2005, on any given night in
America, anywhere 744,000 people are homeless. Lastly, t here ar
Pg. 79 81
1. In societies and between countries, there is often envy of the rich.
2. The uneducated have a hard time catching up.
3. It is usually hard for the undernourished to be productive.
4. Governments should not overlook the unfortuna
Young Woo Song
1. New technologies changed two important life styles of Americans. The first thing change is
the change of television viewing habits. People can watch many television channels than past
before, and they can enjo
1. According to the chart, private university Johns Hopkins which placed on national ranking
13th required tuition and fee for little over $42,200, and 21,090 students attend Johns Hopkins
University. In contrast, public Unive
Young Woo Song
Including freedom of speech and freedom of religion, freedom is one of the most
important values in the U.S. However, even in the U.S, freedom is often overlooked in some
specific situations. A fairly typical ca
1) In the world, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United States estimates that almost
925 million people are suffering from hunger and malnutrition.
2) In the Unite
Pg.357 Understand Details
Pg.359 Improve Your Reading Skills : Scanning
1. The first public schools established in the United States in 1825.
2. The mayor of New York City said
Outline of The Cultures of Kenya
First aspect _
Second aspect _
Third aspect _
III. Conclusion _
Outline of The Three Most Important Aspects of the Culture of My Country, Korea.
Directions: Read Native American Influences on Modern U.S. Culture (p. 313) and complete the
outline below. You can copy-paste the outline into MS Word if you wish.
Native American Influences
A. Native Americans left a perm