Cost Analysis Notes
1. Direct cost
1.1 Investment costs
Interest on capital investment (Time value of money)
1.2 Overhead costs
Product design and development
Creativity & Design Notes
Engineering design is a systematic process by which solutions to the needs of humankind
Specifically, design is to (1) pull together something new or (2) arrange existing things in
a new way to satisfy a recognized
Intro to Class Notes
. Engineers-Who are we?
An engineer is a person who posses the knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences,
and through the principles of analysis and design,
applies this knowledge to the solution of problems and the development of
Laws of Estimation for professional Success Notes
Law 1. Every thing takes longer than expected.
Law 2. If youve done the same task before on a different project, estimate the amount of
time required to finish the task. The actual amount of time required
Example specifications of chemical and biobased products:
1. Chemical composition: What is its composition? How much is its composition
changed without affecting its performance?
2. Physical geometry: what product characteristics are fix
Product Develop Notes
If a product can be acquired in the marketplace, a process called reverse engineering can
be performed to determine the answers to some questions list previously.
Reverse engineering is an excellent learning technique for students an
Project Planning Notes
Project Planning Strategy
. Identify social, economical and environmental needs
2. Assess needs within a broad need area
3. Evaluate knowledge, attitudes, skills and aspiration to target the needs
4. Evaluate public responses (publi
Sources & Idea Notes
Complains and Blames:
1. I have no idea about what I am doing!
2. Nobody told me how to do it!
3. There are so many ideas on internet and I do not know which one I need use!
Lack of ideas
Most of our
Trade & Patent Notes
Trade secrets are nonpublic information and not legal property used in manufacturing our
-Products depending on trade secrets are always vulnerable.
-It could be lost if an employee involved changes jobs.
-It could be lost i