LEARNING OBJECTIVES for ch12
1. List the 3 types of cytoskeletal filament
a. state the diameter of each
b. state the name of the protein(s) making up each
c. describe where in the cell they are located
2. Compare and contrast the 3 cytoskelet
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for CHAPTER 1
Viruses: explain why they are not considered alive.
What are viruses made up of? Name the molecules.
Explain what a virus does when it infects a cell.
Define gene expression
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for Chapter 8
1. Explain what is meant by: translation is an evolutionarily conserved process.
2. Discuss the roles of mRNA, rRNA and tRNA in translation
3. Describe the structure of tRNA and explain why it needs to have a
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for ch7
Background on gene expression
1. Explain the Central Dogma of molecular biology, discussing the roles of DNA, RNA and protein in
2. Define gene expression and specify what cellular processes it includes.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES CHAPTER 2
What are macromolecules and why are they important?
Explain the difference between anabolism & catabolism.
Which chemical reactions are used to (a) build and (b) break down macromolecules?
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for ch9
1. State the functions of: the nucleus, nuclear envelope, nuclear pores, nucleolus, nuclear lamina.
2. Be able to sketch/label a nucleus, including: nuclear envelope (INM, ONM), periplasmic space,
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for ch10
1. Explain what it means for a protein to have a final destination.
2. For each final destination below, name any sorting sequences, retention sequences or protein tags that
proteins must possess in order to arriv
Study Guide Chapter 9
An ionic bond is a chemical bond formed by the electrostatic attraction between positive and
A Lewis electron-dot symbol is a notation in which the electrons in the valence shell of an
atom or ion are represented by do
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for ch14
1. Compare/contrast: plant cell wall, fungus cell wall, bacteria cell wall.
2. What are GlcNAc (NAG) & MurNAc (NAM)? In which cell wall(s) would you find them?
3. Discuss how penicillin works why is it an effectiv
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for CHAPTER 13
1. Discuss the functions of the plasma membrane and the membrane inside of cells.
2. Define: phosphoglyceride, sphingolipid, glycolipid, sterol, glycoprotein, glycolipid, glycosylation,
BIOL 1202 EXAM #1 STUDY GUIDE
As you prepare for the exam, this is a list of the things that you should be able to do (i.e., learning objectives).
Chapter 1: Life and the Scientific Method
List and describe the basic properties of life