I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this test or exam. I have not discussed the
contents of this test or exam prior to taking it. I understand that failure to comply with the
NCSU Honor Pledge wi
Chapter 1 Basic Concepts
The study of thermodynamics is concerned with the ways energy is stored within a body and how energy
transformations, which involve heat and work, may take place.
Classical vs. Statistical thermodynamics
MAE 301 - Thermodynamics I
North Carolina State University
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Instructor: Prof. Nancy Moore
Office: 3318 Engineering Building 3
Email: [email protected]
Office telephone: 919-513-3562
Chapter 1 Class Problems
1. Fill in the table with the following properties:
SI (metric) What is the weight of an object at sea level that has a mass of 400
Chapter 3 Class Problems
1. Complete this table for H20.
2. Determine the internal energy of refrigerant-134a at a temperature of 0C and
a quality of 60%.
3. Determine the
Chapter 2 Class Problems
1. A fluid contained in a piston-cylinder device receives 500 kJ of electrical work
as the gas expands against the piston and does 600 kJ of boundary work on the
piston. What is the net work done by the fluid?
2. Write the first l
Class Review Problems
1. The system is
the air contained in the piston-cylinder device. This system is a closed or fixed
mass system since no mass enters or leaves it.
2. Yes. lt decreases with increasing pressure and becomes z
Test 1 Class Review Problems
1. What system would you use to analyze how a reciprocating air compressor (a
piston-cylinder device) works?
2. Does hfg change with pressure? How?
3. When is the energy crossing the boundaries of a closed system heat and when