What psychologists do
2/3 clinical psychologists (including counseling, school, etc)
1/3 experimental(including industrial/ organization, engineering, etc.)
Randomness can be your friend
Goals of science. You are trying to relate circumstances to behavior
PsychoAnalytic Theory was fathered by Sigmund Freud
- What drives us is the unconscious level. The watering line between conscious and
unconscious keeps the two separate.
- Conscious levels try to rationalize the unconscious
- Hysterical condition of the
When is behavior abnormal?- Is it statistically deviant, e.x. iq scores?
- Does it violate societal moral standards, e.x.
tranvestism ad once homosexuality
- Is the person likely to harm others or self, e.x.
- Is the person unhappy, e.x depressi
2. Delirium, Dementia, and Amn and other Cognitive Disorder-Delirium (confusion,
Dementia (cognitive deficits, memory deficits)
-Dementia of the Alzheimer's type, with early onset
- Dementia of the Alzheimer's Type, with late onset
Tranny-More common to be in private then in public
11.1 Sleep disorders
Dyssomnias (Disturbance in amount, quality, or timing of sleep)
Parasomnias (Abnormal event during sleep, e.g. dream, walking)
12. Impulse-control disorders not Elsewhere classified
Slide one-missed it
How drugs work diagram
Pre-synaptic is transmitter the neuron to the receptor sites. If the receptor site is open
the more likely it is to be filed.
Physcial (physiological) Therapies
Antipsychotic drugs (major tranquilizers, neu
Directive therapy- The therapist takes an active role and directs the therapy and tells u
what you need to do to fix the problem
-Free association steam of consciousness
-Word association: Unusual words or blocking
- Hypnosis: r
Voluntary Response -> Reinforcement
Johnny and his teacher
Autonomic response-> reinforcement
- Asberger's disorder
Total of 6 items w/ at least 2 of 1)
Basic Difficulty with studying emotion
Passing the ROT test (Repeatable, observable, testable). Emotion is not publicly
So what does this measure?
-Facial expressions revisited
Pop quiz on drugs
1. Programs such as D.A.R.E have been shown to be effective and have helped cut the
use of drugs such as marijuana in recent years.
2. It has been shown that for experienced users, driving under the influence of
The faith of : Ivan Pavlov (Russian Psychology)
The meat powder did not get delivered to the dogs mouth. *click* *weer* *dog produces
Ivan denied to his death that he was not a psychologist.
Even though the material was brok
What motivates us to behave the way we do?
-We are pawns of super-natural forces
- We decide how to behave using reason.
- Our behavior is driven by unconscious forces
- We behave as other animals do in order to survive and reprod
Social Psychology is the scientific study of how people think about, influence, and relate
to one another.
Social thinking: the self, beliefs and judgements, behavior and attitudes, social
Social influence: conformity, persua
schedules of reinforcement in operant conditioning
fixed ration (e.g 1:1, 5:1 10:1)- the number of responses required prior to a
Fixed interval- an amount of time has to pass after a response prior to the next
response being reinforced.
Do u remember something? don't say yes or no, say how are you going to measure
Ways of assessing memory
Recall-unaided remembering (the first to go)
Recognition- determining whether an item has been experienced before (criminal line
Perception: principles of organization
- Proximitiy, Similarity, Closure, and good figure
perceptual constancies: We learn early in life to make certain assumptions, e.g. solid
objects do not capriciously change shape, size, etc.
- Size con
hat was the hunter-gatherer life like?
Hunted (men) and gathered (women) so omnivorous
- LIved in cooperative groups of 50-150
- Had only loose leadership
-Had monogamy or low-numbered polygamy
- had few personal possessions
- had 4-5 children. half of wh