ESSAY. Write your answer in the space provided or on a separate sheet of paper.
94) Discuss the five themes qualitative research has uncovered about baby boomers. Why is this type of research
Answer: 1. Quality family life is a major concern.
114) Explain laboratory and field environments. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of laboratory
experiments compared to field experiments.
Answer: A laboratory environment is an artificial setting for experimentation in which the researcher constru
73) Which statement pertains to parallel translation?
A) The questionnaire is translated from the base language by a bilingual speaker whose native
language is the language into which the questionnaire is being translated.
B) Repeat translations and back
86) Discuss single-source data. What is it and how is it related to computer mapping?
Answer: It is desirable to combine secondary information obtained from different sources. One outcome of the
effort to combine data from different sources is single-sour
35) Which statement is not true about the report preparation and presentation process?
A) The researcher should assist the client in understanding the report.
B) The researcher should assist the client in evaluating the research process in retrospect.
25) Only audio and visual stimuli can be tested via online focus groups.
26) Online focus group participants don't have the potential to be distracted by external stimuli.
26) A principal disadvantage of structured questions is that potential for interviewer bias is high.
27) A principal disadvantage of unstructured questions is that potential for interviewer bias is high.
53) _ is a sampling technique in which an element cannot be included in the sample more than
A) Simple random sampling
B) Sampling without replacement
C) Bayesian approach
D) Sampling with replacement
54) If the researcher is concerned
13) The semantic differential is a five-point rating scale with endpoints associated with bipolar labels
that have semantic meaning.
14) Individual items on a semantic differential scale may be scored on either a -3 to +3 or a 1 to 7 sc
37) The Internet can provide a mechanism for controlled experimentation, although in a laboratory
type of environment.
38) All of the types of experimental designs mentioned in the chapter on Causal Research Design
(Latin Square, factor
26) A lifestyle may be defined as a distinctive pattern of living that is described by the activities people
engage in, the interests they have, and the opinions they hold of themselves and the world around
27) Surveys are
12) The stepwise discriminant analysis method is appropriate when, based on previous research or a
theoretical model, the researcher wants the discrimination to be based on all the predictors.
13) The null hypothesis in discriminant ana
12) Where appropriate, analysis of past information and forecasts of trends should be carried out at
the firm's department level.
13) In instances where the resources are too limited to allow a high-quality project, the firm should be
51) The CRM system used by Chrysler is an example of _.
A) database marketing
C) directory databases
D) none of the above
52) Caterpillar needed to know what truck fleets should test their two new engines; how they could
get a mark
34) According to the text, marketing research has become _.
B) more integrative with marketing and product development
C) real time
D) all of the above
35) Marketing Research, as defined by the author, is everything except _.
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
1) Boeing commissioned Harris Interactive, Inc. to conduct a study to determine the aircraft
preferences of fliers. Boeing did this because they understood the im
53) Focus groups can use several variations of the standard procedure. Which of the following is not
one of the variations mentioned in your text?
A) respondent-moderator group
B) tag-team moderator group
C) client-participant group
55) In marketing, sales, cost, market share, and number of customers are variables measured on a
56) _ are one of two types of scaling techniques in which there is direct comparison of stim
55) The Nielsen Television Index is a set of information of known commercial value that is provided to
multiple clients on a subscription basis. The Nielsen Index is an example of _.
A) standardized services
B) syndicated services
C) analytical services
49) Which non-comparative scale has the advantage of being easy to construct and the disadvantage
of cumbersome scoring unless the scoring is computerized (Table 9.1 in the text)?
A) Likert scale
B) Stapel scale
C) continuous rating scale
D) semantic diff
39) As one of the seven Cs that characterize the interaction between the DM and the researcher,
confidence is best defined as: _.
A) the interaction between the DM and the researcher should be creative rather than formulaic
B) the interaction between the
81) Which of the following statements is not true about unstructured questions?
A) Open-ended questions are useful as opening questions.
B) Open-ended questions are useful in exploratory research.
C) Unstructured questions can suffer from order or positio
49) Table 6.2 in the text provides a comparative evaluation of survey methods. Mall intercept surveys
allow for diversity of questions. Which two additional methods are also shown as high on the
diversity of question criteria?
A) computer assisted telepho
25) Marketing managers continually make decisions based on assumed causal relationships. Because
these assumptions may be justifiable, the validity of the causal relationships need not be examined
via formal research.
26) According to t
73) In MDS, when a spatial map is obtained, it is assumed that interpoint distances are _ scaled
and that the axes of the map are multidimensional _ scaled.
A) ordinal; interval
B) interval; ratio
C) interval; interval
D) ratio; interval
60) When developing a questionnaire, to ensure that the information obtained fully addresses all
components of the problem, the researcher should _.
A) prepare a set of dummy tables
B) have a clear idea of the target population
C) review components of the
36) Which of the following applications is appropriate for using factor analysis?
A) to identify the characteristics of price-sensitive consumers
B) to determine if variation in market share can be accounted for by the size of the sales force
61) Which method allows the researcher to obtain information on cluster membership of cases if the
number of clusters is specified?
A) icicle plot
B) scree plot
C) cluster centers
D) both A and C
62) Which method allows the researcher to obt
12) Non-metric MDS procedures assume that the input data are ordinal, and they result in ordinal
13) The metric MDS procedures assume that input data are metric and the output is also metric.
26) Observing children playing with new toys is an example of unstructured observation.
27) A primary method of observation using the Internet is to count the number of times a Web page is