2009 DECA Ontario Provincials Competition
SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT TEAM DECISION
1. Jake wanted to run his own sport-equipment business but was unsure that he had adequate business
skills to be successful. Which type of business structure w
90. Fred White has just accepted a sales position with the ABC Health Maintenance Organization, a
major provider of health care services. He had been selling medical supplies for some time and found
that he understood how customers bought medical supplies
84. Sarah has a backache due to overexertion. She believes a massage would loosen her back muscles and
make her feel better. She is concerned because a massage, unlike a pair of shoes, cannot be felt before she
buys it. Sarah realizes massages have _ prop
157.Which of the following statements regarding the place element of services is most accurate?
A.Place has little impact on the marketing of services since there are so many intermediaries from which
a consumer may choose.
B. The distribution site and th
132.Recent research suggests that _ and sincerity of the interactions affect the success of the
133.Which of the following statements about service failures is mo
50. Western Airlines operates five flights daily between Chicago and Phoenix during the winter. One flight
leaves Phoenix at 12:10 PM. The plane, a Boeing 737, has a capacity of 120 passengers. During the past
month, the flight has averaged only 24 passen
95. According to Figure 12-3 above, elements of "B" would most likely be evaluated on _
96. According to Figure 12-3 above, elements of "C" would most likely be evaluated on _
102.How a person establishes expectations for a service not yet experienced is influenced by _,
personal needs, past experiences, and promotional activities.
A. the economy
B. consumer income
C. word-of-mouth communications
D. competitive trends
E. how th
109.Knowledge and courtesy of employees and their ability to convey trust and confidence is referred to as
110.Caring, individualized attention provided to customers as a dimension
70. For nonprofit organizations, excesses in revenue over expenses are
A. taxed at one-half the rate for profit organizations.
B. distributed equally to all of the organization's shareholders.
C. returned to the organization's treasury for continuation of
77. What do the United States Post Office, the U.S. Park Service, and the local fire department have in
A. They are all privately owned companies.
B. They do not fit on the service continuum.
C. They are all service providers.
D. They never experi
62. Which of the following is the best example of an equipment-based service?
A. lawn care
E. janitorial services
63. What do a dry cleaning service, an automated carwash, and a taxi service have in common?
A. They are all t
55. According to the service continuum shown in Figure 12-2 above, which of the following offerings has the
highest level of intangibility?
A. tailored suit
B. tutoring service
C. advertising agency
D. fast-food restaurant
56. According to the ser
13. Which of the following statements about services is most accurate?
A Whether tangible or not, the marketing of services is exactly the same as the marketing of products or
. ideas since they both satisfy customer needs.
B. Although a major contributor
43. Idle production capacity refers to
A. a situation where the demand for exceeds the availability of service providers and as a result, no
services can be offered.
B. when the supply of service providers exceeds their demand.
C. a situation where a serv
37. When Thelma got her drive-thru order at the fast-food restaurant, she thought Louise, the employee who
took her money and gave her order, was cold and unfriendly. The food tasted good but was overshadowed
by the Louise's demeanor. Every time she has t
31. Betty Smith operates a wedding preparation service that aids brides-to-be in the planning of their
weddings by providing the necessary equipment, supplies, and services. To maintain a quality image and
a standardized offering, Betty provides extensive
115.Arnett is looking for a new Web portal to use to access information that interests him on the Internet.
The one he currently uses is too slow when loading web pages because each page is cluttered with ads
and videos. In terms of the service quality di
127.A flowchart of the points of interaction between a customer and its service provider is referred to as
A. service continuum.
B. gap analysis.
C. customer contact audit.
D. customer contact continuum.
E. service audit.
128.Ron had a craving for sushi s
144.Which of the following statements regarding service branding is most accurate?
A.Because the classification of services is so complex, it is far more difficult to find a brand name that
hasn't already been taken.
B Services must include the word "serv
177.Airlines feature load factor as a(n) _ measure on their marketing dashboards.
B. price differentiation
D. capacity management
178.Airlines feature load factor as a capacity management measure on their ma
189. (p. 313) C
190. (p. 315-317) D
191. (p. 315-317) C
192. (p. 316) D
193. (p. 315-317) A
194. (p. 315-317) C
195. (p. 315-317) D
196. (p. 315-317) C
197. (p. 315-317) D
198. (p. 315-317) A
199. (p. 315-317) A
Inventory: Brokerage services have little i
Kerin - Chapter 12
Learning Objective: 12-01 Describe four unique elements of services.
Learning Objective: 12-02 Recognize how services differ and how they can be classified.
Learning Objective: 12-03
(2) Capacity management. Since it can affect the level of demand for a service, organizations use price to help keep demand within capacity. For
example, a movie theater might offer matinee prices or a restaurant might offer luncheon specials called off-p
198.An additional benefit of a Phillies special promotions night is that it not only does boosts overall
A. generates first-time visits from fans who have never attended a Major League Baseball game.
B.generates premiums (wristbands, caps,
204.Describe the three ways services can be classified.
205.What are the three properties of goods and services evaluated by consumers when they are making a
purchase decision? Give an example of a product or service for each.
206.List and define the five
191.The Philadelphia Phillies are marketing what "product?"
A. a baseball game
B. popular players
C. a fun experience
D. a winning team
E. competitive spirit
192.The Philadelphia Phillies offer different promotions to meet the needs of specific segments.
183.Assuming the information shown in the JetBlue marketing dashboard Figure 12-5 above will not change
in the near future, what actions would recommend that JetBlue take?
A. Proceed as in the past; JetBlue is clearly profitable.
B. Use advertising to let
170.A _ is very important to the process aspect of services because it helps identify steps that will
ultimately lead to better service creation and delivery processes.
A. customer contact audit
B. internal marketing review
C. tangibility gap analysis
163.The appearance of the environment in which the service is delivered and where the firm and customer
interact can influence the customer's _ of the service.
A. repeat usage
164.The buildings, l