Study Aid 2
Args. For Political Democracy
1. Utilitarian: the best way to guarantee that the most peoples desires are satisfied
2. Deontological: the only legitimate governing power one can have over another is
with the consent of the governed.
Args for w
Study Aid 1
Two kinds of moral theory:
Consequentialist theories: Hold that an action is right if it produces the most
good. (Bentham, Mill, et al.)
Deontological theories: ("deontology" literally means "the study of
duty") Broadly: theories that are not
Lecture Notes 4
he Free Market System
1. All exchanges are uncoerced (no force, taxes, regulations, restrictions)
2. There is no deception or fraud
Everyone chooses according to their own rational selfinterest (in principle)
Practical Argument for: Max
Lecture Notes 3
1. Legal Rights
2. Contractually Agreed to Rights
3. Moral Rights
Difference between Legal and Moral rights.
Presumably, rights 1 and 2 should be morally permissible; nonetheless, they
probably will not cover all moral obli
Lecture 2 Notes
Varieties of Work
Work as activity vs. Work as employment
(ex. I am working on my model train collection vs. I am working at
Varieties of Employment
1. Job: work in which selfidentity is independent of the activity
Should one ev
Lecture 1 Notes
Psychological Egoism: The only motivations humans act upon are self
interested (or selfish) motivations.
Evidence for the theory
1. All of my actions are motivated by desires of mine (and not someone else). I
always act from my own wants.
1. Negligence (torts law): liability is determined by whether people involved
exercises reasonable care not to harm people (or themselves).
Reasonableness test comes up throughout the law.
1. What an average
1. The consequentialist thinks the most important thing in ethics is the value of the
consequences of your actions.
2. The deontologist thinks that the most important thing in ethics is the nature of the
actions you take, especially the intenti
1. Caveat Emptor explicit lying allowed
A. The state shouldnt involve itself in lying (do you want the state
throwing you in jail for lying to your mother?)
B. Build sense of responsibility and intelligence in consumers