Strengthening Synapses: Assembling Existing Parts
1. Describe the basic events that result in calcium entering the dendritic spine.
Glutamate released from presynaptic neuron and binds to AMPA/NMDA on
Cell is depolarized an
Memory Modulation Systems
1. What are the fundamental assumptions of the memory modulation framework?
Behavioral experience can:
o Activate specific sets of neurons that represent and store experience
o Activate neural systems that can influen
Chapter 3 Strengthening Synapses Assembling Existing (4 of 4)
27. What evidence suggests that CaMKII plays a role in maintaining LTP?
When an antagonist is applied to keep CaMKII from being active, the maintenance of
LTP is disrupted
CaMKIINtide is a Ca
Chapter 3 Strengthening Synapses: Assembling Existing Parts (2 of 3)
9. Discuss the general concept of AMPA receptor trafficking and what it has to do with LTP.
AMPA receptor: ion channel positioned to span the cell membrane where it can bind
Chapter 3 Strengthening Synapses: Assembling Existing Parts (3 of 3)
18. How is CaMKII initially placed in the active state?
Ca2+-calmodulin binds to regulatory domain, causing the gate to open and the
catalytic domain to phosphorylate
19. What role does
CHAPTER 8 Memory Formation: Post-Translation Processes
1. What is the pharmacological evidence supporting the idea that NMDA receptors are
important in memory formation?
Morris et al. delivered NMDA antagonist to rats and observed that they had
Memory Consolidation: Translation and Transcription
1. Describe the basic research design used to provide evidence that a drug or
genetic manipulation influences the consolidation of a long-term memory.
Administer drugtrain subjectretention int
8 November 2013
Critical Analysis Paper
Schwabe et al. (2012) investigated whether a beta-adrenergic receptor antagonist would
interfere with the reconsolidation of an emotional memory. The researchers also looked at what
2 December 2013
Critical Analysis Paper
The purpose of the Agren et al. (2012) study was to test the hypothesis that
reconsolidation in humans is amygdala-mediated and that disruption of reconsolidation erases a
memory trace in the basolat
Chapter 9: memory consolidation
CREB and memory
Blocking CREB blocks translation of new proteins
Good STM, but terrible LTM
Antisense Therapy Approach
Identify mRNA that may be relevant to LTM
Block translation of protein by using antisense (synthetic